Full Time Employee
Big Data Engineering Solution Architect (Job Number:419089)
The Cyber, Cloud, and Data Science (CCDS) Service Line at SAIC currently has an opportunity available for a Big Data Engineering Solution Architect, in our McLean, VA facility.
The successful candidate will function as a ‘hands-on’ technical lead for high visibility big data engineering capture/proposal efforts and be responsible for defining all technical aspects of the solution to include the approach, architecture, analyses, technologies, cost, BOE development, and execution.
- These solutions will support a diverse set of government and commercial organizations.
- The person in this position will work with and integrate technologies including Hadoop services and infrastructure, NoSQL and relational data stores, and tools and technologies in the area of ETL, data warehousing, reporting, business intelligence, visualization and advanced analytics.
- This individual will also be responsible for participating in and establishing project objectives, plans, schedules, and budgets and for managing the technical, operational, and financial performance of projects.
The successful candidate will have a track record of success in managing high visibility, complex, technical programs and be responsible for the following:
- Organizing and managing the technical team required to support opportunities (RFI, RFQ, etc.)
- Supporting opportunity evaluations against strategic/account plans and core service categories/capabilities
- Qualifying and evaluating opportunities against business objectives
- Developing and refining win strategies and make/buy analysis
- Producing and maintaining requirements, system architecture, and design documents
- Interfacing and managing relationships with customers, contractors, and sub-contractors
- Maintaining an environment conducive to professional growth and staff development
- Managing a staff (directly and indirectly) and providing leadership, guidance, and mentoring
- Engaging in new technology research to facilitate innovative and leading edge approaches to internal and external opportunities
- Serving as a representative of the organization at various industry and customer specific events to include working groups, steering committees, seminars, and conferences
- Taking an active ‘hands-on’ role with all aspects of the service line
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required and 12+ years of experience
- A minimum of 7 years of successfully performing in a role of major responsibility tied to large data intensive projects with tight deadlines.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience as a Data Engineer / Data Architect / Solution Architect
- A minimum of 3 years of experience with designing solutions using big data tools and technologies
- Advance degree in Computer Science / Computer Engineering / Information Systems or related discipline; industry recognized certifications such as PMP, PMI-ACP or ITIL is preferred
The candidate will have the following specific qualities:
- A demonstrated history of contributing to the execution of large-scale technical projects
- Experience providing solutions to government customers in either the Fed/Civ or DoD space
- Experience with advanced IT technologies: Big Data engineering and integration, Service-Oriented Architectures (SOA), datacenter architectures, or web services
- Hands-on expertise in the full data lifecycle areas of: data modeling, ETL, data warehousing, reporting, data exploration and visualization, analytics and data provisioning
- Detailed knowledge of the big data analytics/data science industry, including key technologies, vendors, and trends
- Hands on experience in the areas of Big Data design and implementation for data intensive problems (high Volume-Velocity-Variety scenarios) using Hadoop-based infrastructure and services (such as MapReduce, YARN, NoSQL stores, Apache Spark)
- Experience with sizing/scaling distributed computing clusters, deployment models (cloud-based / on premise), operations, management, and security
- Capable of synthesizing a reference architecture from a requirements specification, industry best practices, and vendor whitepapers / artifacts
- Experience developing and maintaining project plans including schedules, project requirements, budgets and delivery
- Extensive experience in IT-relevant industry areas and an understanding of the surrounding strategic issues that may impact potential customers
- A recognized leader and mentor who can serve as a subject matter expert for technologies/tools
- Able to exercise leadership effectively for virtual teams without having a direct line authority for team members
- Experience with managing 3rd party technology partners and vendor relationships
- Excellent presentation, written, and verbal communication skills at both the engineering and senior executive levels
- Superior analytical and problem-resolution skills, with attention to details
- High energy, strong work ethic, and able to perform within condensed timeframes
- Professional demeanor and attitude
- U.S. Citizenship required
The candidate should have the following specific qualities:
- Capable of applying Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) concepts and practices
- Experience with large scale infrastructure modernization efforts
- Experience desired in the areas of: data standards and compliance, statistical analysis, machine learning techniques
- Knowledge of typical data governance issues, strategies, and policies
- Intimate working knowledge of the full Systems Engineering life cycle (Requirements, Analysis, Design, Implementation, and Testing) as well as project management methodologies
- Demonstrated experience marketing, developing, and growing business opportunities
- Experience in major areas of Federal Civilian or DoD customer set
- Broad knowledge of IT terminology, methods, principles, concepts, and theories
- Proven leadership traits to include sound business judgment, keen conceptual skills, intellectual discipline, self-confidence, well-developed management and problem resolution skills
- Data management/Data Science certifications and/or training
- Must currently possess or be able to obtain a Secret security clearance
- The position is ideally located in Washington, D.C., but we are open to Telework/Remote location for the ideal candidate. The ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally (as needed) is required.
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a leading provider of technical, engineering and enterprise information technology services to the U.S. government. Our 13,000 employees deliver systems engineering and information technology offerings for large, complex government programs, as well as a broad range of higher-end, differentiated technology services. The company is headquartered in McLean, Va. For more information, visit www.saic.com.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: May 24, 2016, 11:29:24 AM
Primary Location: United States-VA-MCLEAN
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Secret
Potential for Teleworking: Yes
Shift: Day Job
To apply for this job, contact: