Rockwell Collins (www.rockwellcollins.com)
Full Time Employee
Want to work with some of the most talented, dedicated people on the planet? Do you value relationships, commitment, innovation and integrity? Want to be a part of a company that was named as the 2015 America’s Best Employer in Aerospace and Defense by Forbes magazine?
Then Rockwell Collins is the place for you. Join our team and build a rewarding career while helping to deliver the most trusted source of aviation and high-integrity solutions in the world.
We are currently searching for a Senior Technical Writer to join our team in Cedar Rapids, IA. Employing some of the most talented, dedicated people on the planet is not by chance. People from all over the globe choose Rockwell Collins as the place to build a rewarding career,, while helping create and deliver communications, integration, and engineering solutions that our global customers demand so that our world keeps moving and stays connected. It’s an exciting time to become a part of our team. Join us and discover how high your career can soar at Rockwell Collins.
This position is located in Cedar Rapids, IA. A comprehensive relocation package is available for qualified candidates.
The Senior Technical Writer role includes, but is not limited to, authoring complete technical publications related to aircraft systems and components, typically comprised of avionics, communication, navigation, flight control, audio, flight management, information processing, displays, diagnostic, and surveillance products.
• Research and develop understanding of system, sub-system, and component operation.
• Work pro-actively with engineering and customer to procure and understand source data.
• Develop and implement creative work processes and innovative work methods to maximize electronic technical data reuse and authoring efficiency.
• Understand and perform to project-specific writing specifications.
• Revise/provide markup system-related level technical data such as sub-system and component descriptions, procedures (fault isolation, test, operation, maintenance and remove/install), and theory of operation.
• Revise/provide markup illustrations such as block diagrams, wiring diagrams, equipment location, test setups, and diagnostic flowcharts, and schematics to accompany technical data.
• Be accountable for timely, accurate, and thorough project communication.
• Discern emergent work and cost modifications occurring which are outside the negotiated project scope.
• Represent the project team at conferences, training, and pubs validations, as required.
• Be accountable for the cost, quality, and timely delivery of all work assignments.
• Ability to build illustrated parts list(s).
Knowledge and Skills:
• Intermediate and Depot electronics skills and recent experience and/or training.
• Experience maintaining, using, or designing aircraft avionics equipment.
• Must be able to extract and comprehend system operation from typical engineering documentation (schematics, software specifications, bus data dictionaries, hardware interface specifications, and equipment specifications).
• Strong attention to detail and personal organization.
• High literacy in Framemaker
• High literacy in structured authoring (SGML, XML) environment (bookplan structure; ATA task numbering; typical DTDs/schema, elements and attributes).
• High interpersonal communication skills.
• Subject Matter Expert knowledge of some avionics product(s) or product line(s).
• Proven professional attitude toward work assignments, toward customer relationships, and toward company/department Lean goals and vision.
• Must be able and willing to accept responsibility and perform with minimal supervision.
• Be a pro-active team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
• Have positive attitude toward change and inevitable mid-project course corrections.
• US Citizenship
• Ability to obtain a DoD Security Clearance
• Bachelor's degree in appropriate discipline or in the absence of a degree six years of related experience; identified skills and experience
• Experience in writing or using intermediate and depot level aircraft maintenance pubs such as Aircraft
• Maintenance Manual, Aircraft Integrated Parts Catalog, System Schematic Manual, Fault Isolation Manual as well as Component Maintenance Manuals.
• Experience producing electronic technical data.
• Knowledge of Industry Writing Specification -ATA (Air Transport Association) and S1000D
• Subject Matter Expert knowledge of some Rockwell Collins product(s) or product line(s).
• Simplified Technical English (ASD/AECMA version) writing experience
At Rockwell Collins, we believe a solid work-life balance creates a healthy lifestyle and inspires creativity and innovation. We value our people and invest in their development, growth and success at our company by providing development opportunities through Rockwell Collins University, networking, mentoring, and tuition reimbursement.
And that’s just for starters.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
• Company-paid winter holiday shutdown for most locations
• Generous 401(k) plan that matches 62.5 percent of the first 8 percent of eligible compensation you contribute (or 5 percent if you save 8 percent)
• An Incentive Pay Plan based upon company performance
• Tuition reimbursement
• And more
Interested yet? Apply now and embark on your next worthwhile adventure!
Rockwell Collins is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
**Job:** **Engineering Support*
**Organization:** **Publications & Training Solutions*
**Title:** *Senior Technical Writer - Avionics Maintenance Content & Products*
**Location:** *Iowa-Cedar Rapids*
**Requisition ID:** *ENG000000OZ*
To apply for this job, contact: