Alion Science & Technology (www.alionscience.com)
Full Time Employee
Perform information technology Systems Administration of a network and limited core services to support the U.S. Army Tank-Automotive Research Development Engineering Center. Apply networking and automation principles to isolate many technically disparate efforts with an intent to enable autonomy but still maintain compartmentalized security. Use Linux, Enterprise Linux (e.g. RHEL, CentOS), virtualization (e.g. KVM/RHEV), and centralized logging / auditing (e.g. syslog, Splunk) skills.
Under general supervision, responsible for the continuous operation of servers, networks and related infrastructure supporting information systems. Installs new software releases, patches, updates and manages the overall configuration to ensure it is up to date and secure. Develops backup and recovery procedures and disaster recovery plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Maintains smooth operation of moderately complex multi-user computer systems, including coordination with network administrators.
* Installs new software releases, system upgrades, evaluates and installs patches and resolves moderately complex software related problems.
* Uses systems management software to monitor servers and applications, troubleshooting problems and coordinating with other teams when problems occur.
* Develops, tests and maintains a disaster recovery plan.
* Supports applications development project teams with the development of test servers, testing new system configurations and consulting on system performance issues.
* Tests and evaluates network hardware and software to determine compatibility with current systems.
* Performs equipment reviews, development of maintenance histories, management and maintenance of hardware inventories.
* Supports site upgrades, site inspections, site audits, or other site evaluations.
* Develops and maintains system documentation. Develops and monitors policies and standards for allocation related to the use of computing resources.
* Develops network, news, and host security policies. Assigns passwords and monitors uses of resources.
* Monitors network traffic and makes necessary recommendations for additional resources or hardware.
* Performs system backups and recovery.
* Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have experience performing information technology Systems Administration of a network and limited core services to support a diverse Research & Development environment. The ideal candidate will have experience networking and automation principles to isolate many technically disparate efforts with an intent to enable autonomy but still maintain compartmentalized security. The ideal candidate will have significant Linux, Enterprise Linux (e.g. RHEL, CentOS), virtualization (e.g. KVM/RHEV), and centralized logging / auditing (e.g. syslog, Splunk) experience. IAT Level II or II certifications strongly desired. Experience with DoD systems, Unix, system, networking internals, security hardening, control based hardening, and systems scripting a plus.
Education and Experience
* Bachelor's degree in related discipline plus at least two years of directly related experience.
* In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for more than 7 years applicable work experience. Work experience may be adjusted for highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience for positions involving new technology or labor market shortages as reflected by
* market survey data.
* Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
* Excellent interpersonal skills.
* Good analytical skills and attention to detail.
* Knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures used in systems administration.
* Related technical certifications may be required.
* The candidate must be able to obtain and hold a SECRET clearance.
To apply for this job, contact: