Full Time Employee
BRIEF POSITION SUMMARY:
The Financial Reporting Manager position oversees the Company’s financial reporting processes to ensure financial information is reported in compliance with GAAP and SEC requirements. This position will be responsible for overseeing the preparation and analysis of financial information, and reviewing financial statements, selected reports to senior management, and other analyses prepared by direct reports. This position will also share subject matter expertise with business partners in Accounting and other areas of the business to determine the appropriate accounting treatment and disclosures for transactions, to support the development of accounting policies and to interpret and implement accounting pronouncements. The Financial Reporting Manager will work closely with the Company’s Investor Relations, Legal, Treasury, Tax, and Internal Audit departments, senior and executive management and external auditors.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversee and/or review the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, SEC filings, quarterly earnings releases, and annual proxy statement, including review of supporting documentation.
• Review various monthly and quarterly financial schedules, analyses and reconciliations; review and approve journal entries.
• Participate in and/or lead special projects and meetings.
• Review research performed related to technical issues or developments and related documentation/memos supporting our conclusions. Provide subject matter expertise in the development of accounting policies and implementation of new accounting and disclosure requirements.
• Manage, lead and develop a team of associates through timely performance feedback delivered during day-to-day observations, file reviews and an annual performance review. Responsible for creating individual development plans and business objectives designed to enhance and assist associate growth.
• Support the external audit process, including review of client-prepared schedules for quarterly audit reviews and SOX 404 testing and financial reporting process documentation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to motivate and influence across multiple levels of the organization, and willing to challenge upwards appropriately in the best interest of CarMax.
• Ability to build and maintain strong relationships throughout the organization, and collaborate with other departments and teams.
• Ability to determine customer-specific needs and put forth actions to meet those needs
• Ability to prioritize and lead team to achieve long-term and short-term results.
• Ability to develop, execute and adjust a plan with high degree of independence.
• Ability to develop and promote other associates for organizational needs.
• Ability to understand latest industry trends and their potential impact for CarMax.
• Ability to evaluate and make effective judgments on complex accounting and SEC reporting matters and communicate effectively to multiple audiences.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Four year degree in Accounting and/or Finance required.
• CPA required.
• Nine or more years of general accounting experience including five or more years of experience in public accounting (Big 4 firm preferred) and/or corporate financial reporting with significant exposure to SEC reporting requirements.
• Three or more years of experience leading teams to achieve common goals, including supervising and developing direct and/or indirect reports.
• Strong accounting skills including extensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and SEC reporting requirements.
• Previous experience preparing, analyzing and reviewing financial statements.
• Previous experience drafting and reviewing notes to financial statements and other supplementary information (i.e., Management’s Discussion & Analysis [MD&A], exhibits, etc.).
• Previous experience utilizing a disclosure management application to prepare SEC filings, including XBRL is preferred.
• Previous project management experience.
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office (Excel and Word).
* Internal candidates should have successfully completed Senior MAP
To apply for this job, contact: