Full Time Employee
Are you ready for Success? Be empowered to create yours, and share in ours. Join the CarMax Tax Department as a Team Manager at our Home Office in Richmond, VA.
A fast-growing and innovative FORTUNE®:: 500 company, CarMax has been named one of the “100 Best Places to Work” by FORTUNE®:: magazine since 2005. CarMax has a proven ability to deliver game-changing business results while providing a unique, collaborative and fun culture for our associates. Associates are provided the opportunity to improve communities where they live and work through our CarMax Foundation.
Our Home Office is not your usual corporate environment. In addition to being exciting, modern and casual, it is loaded with perks including on-site fitness center, walking trails, cafeteria, and much more.
As a Team Manager in the Tax department, you will support our team’s mission to provide value-added services for the company to help “drive what’s possible.” The tax team operates in a collaborative environment with uncompromising integrity and accountability, all while supporting company growth through collective expertise, cross-functional partnerships and a mindset focused around continuous improvement. You will share our passion for helping customers by being empowered to make a difference
The Sales Tax Team Manager is responsible for leading and developing the Sales Tax Team. Responsibilities are reviewing the output that the team produces which includes monthly compliance and associated research, resale certificates and special projects. This includes ensuring that CarMax complies with each of the states sales & use tax laws and keeping current with any law changes that impact the business. The team works with Procurement, Legal, IT, various Operational Teams and store management. This position leads 5 associates, consisting of Analysts, Senior Specialists, and a Specialist.
• Manage, lead and develop a team associates through timely performance feedback delivered during day-to-day observations, file reviews and an annual performance review. The Team Manager is responsible for creating individual development plans and business objectives designed to enhance and assist associate growth.
• Oversee the monthly tax compliance process which includes reviewing the tax returns for accuracy and ensuring CarMax pays the appropriate tax to each of the taxing jurisdictions.
• Engage with internal and external business partners to answer tax inquiries and assist the company in providing accurate tax advice.
• Lead and participate in projects with internal and external business partners to support business needs and promote continual process improvement.
• Administrative duties and projects/research as assigned.
• Perform and review accounting activities, including approving payments, JVs and account reconciliations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to motivate, inspire and gain buy-in from managers and associates
• Ability to build and maintain strong relationships within immediate area of business, and when necessary, identify resources in other areas of the business that can be utilized
• Ability to determine customer-specific needs and put forth actions to meet those needs
• Ability to organize and prioritize work effectively, and manage own time to meet goals/objectives
• Ability to develop and execute a plan with minimal direction
• Ability to develop and promote other associates for organizational needs
• Ability to understand latest industry trends and their potential impact for CarMax
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Four year degree in Accounting and/or Finance; In lieu of degree five years of progressive accounting experience
• One or more years of experience leading teams to achieve common goals, including managing direct and/or indirect reports
• Five plus years of sales tax experience
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office (Excel and Word)
To apply for this job, contact: