Full Time Employee
The Sales Tax Senior Analyst is responsible for ensuring that CarMax complies with each of the states sales and use tax laws. This position will perform and document complex tax research and lead and/or be a subject matter expert in a wide array of tax accounting-related projects. Additional responsibilities include reviewing and preparing monthly compliance, acting as the tax lead in CarMax initiatives and reducing tax risks through analysis and audit defense.
• With minimal guidance from management conduct new state research and work on projects
• With minimal guidance from management, preparation and review of monthly tax compliance including analyzing general ledger to monthly reporting and filling out necessary forms
• Working with states on routine audits which includes explaining and defending CarMax tax positions and proof of tax payments
• Communication that includes responding to the more demanding tax inquiries by external and internal customers either in written or verbal exchanges.
• Monitor state tax legislation changes and conduct tax research for new business initiatives
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Associate should possess strong:
• Ability to motivate and lead others, including gaining buy-in to do the right thing for the right reason
• Ability to build and maintain strong relationships
• Ability to provide “win-win” solutions while resolving customer service issues in a positive and professional manner
• Ability to deliver on objectives and meet deadlines with project parameters
• Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner while balancing time, multi-tasking and interruptions
• Ability to use own experience to train, develop and mentor other associates
• Ability to apply business and technical knowledge to produce results and make recommendations
• Ability to independently own problem analysis, determine possible solutions (with risks and awards identified) and present to Manager and Senior Leadership.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Four year degree in Accounting and/or Finance required
• 4+ years of sales tax experience at a public accounting firm or in a corporate tax department
• Experience working on state audits
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Access) required
• Two or more years of experience leading teams to achieve common goals, including supervising direct and/or indirect reports
• Previous Account Reconciliation experience
To apply for this job, contact: