Full Time Employee Contractor
ManTech is seeking a highly motivated Senior Electrical Engineer to support federal research and development (R&D) programs in solar grid integration under the Department of Energy’s SunShot Initiative. The successful candidate shall possess a strong academic background in a fundamental engineering/science discipline and demonstrated real world experience in the application of the skillset from at least one of the following areas: (1) power electronics; (2) electric power systems; (2) renewable energy grid integration; (3) smart grid; (4) industrial control and automation; and (5) energy storage.
To proactively anticipate and address the technical and regulatory challenges associated with a scenario in which hundreds (100s) of gigawatts of solar power are interconnected to the nation’s electricity grid, the SunShot Systems Integration subprogram supports the research and development of high impact technologies and solutions to enable the widespread deployment of solar generation in a safe, reliable, cost effective, and secure manner. See details at the SunShot website here.
Working in an integrated team environment and supporting federal client, the position will be responsible for active program management of the R&D portfolio through all project phases. The position also involves brainstorming innovative ideas and creating new research initiatives to advance the state-of-the-arts.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Serve as the technology expert to evaluate technology area portfolios, conduct gap analysis, and develop strategic roadmaps.
• Initiate and oversee the planning of new Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs) including program concepts, requirement documents, workshops, merit reviews, briefings, negotiations, and award execution.
• Perform active project management to ensure that projects make progress toward stated objectives and meet milestones and deliverables. Conduct quarterly, phase, and final project reviews and site visits. Provide clear guidance to awardees in regard to expectation and progress assessment. Resolve conflict and develop corrective actions when situations arise.
• Stay abreast of technology developments and proactively engage stakeholders (federal agencies, national laboratories, industry, academia, non-profits and others). Plan, attend, and present at major conferences throughout the year as travel funds allow. Obtain input from outside sources through road mapping workshops and other meetings.
• A Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering or in relevant fields of study in engineering or physical sciences. An additional business degree is a plus.
• Demonstrated strong engineering, analytical and scientific skills to aggressively attack complex fundamental scientific and engineering problems and identify feasible/optimal system level solutions enabled by the fundamental multiphysics understanding.
• Have 2-5 years direct relevant experience serving on a multi-disciplinary system design and development team in power electronics, renewable energy, and/or smart grid.
• Have 2-5 years direct experience in program management, with excellent organization skills, written and oral communication skills and critical decision making ability based on technical, scientific and business reasoning.
• Demonstrated critical and creative thinking skills, and prior applied research and development experience through patents and peer-reviewed scientific journal publications.
• Experience with new technology, technology commercialization, manufacturing engineering, and design for manufacture will be a plus.
• Ability to make written and oral presentations that clearly articulate the situations encountered and provide recommendations for achieving program objectives.
• Must have strong written communication skills.
• Self-motivated, highly organized individual with ability to adapt and respond quickly in a fast-paced environment.
• Authorized to work in the United States with no restrictions/Permanent US Resident.
Full time position; must be willing to work in downtown Washington DC; must be willing to travel on an as-needed basis.
Clearance: None required.
This a one year contract position
To apply for this job, contact: