Full Time Employee
Sr. Database Engineer (Job Number:421928)
SAIC has an opening for a Sr Database Engineer located in Arlington, VA.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) mission is to preserve and promote public confidence in the U.S. financial systems by insuring deposits in banks and thrift institutions for up to $250,000; by identifying, monitoring, and addressing risks to the deposit insurance funds; and by limiting the effect on the account and the financial system when a bank or thrift institution fails.
SAIC provides the day-to-day operational services to FDIC in support of infrastructure, facilities, hardware, software, and systems. SAIC supports operational security, client support/help desk, data center operations, asset management, and systems engineering service areas.
SAIC seeks a Senior Database Engineer for the FDIC Infrastructure Team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Participate in the team that is responsible for the plan, build and run functions related to database architecture.
- Design, implement and manage cost effective solutions to meet business and project needs.
- Design, architect, install and support Oracle Middleware Suite (WebLogic, SOA, OAM), Oracle Identity Management, Oracle Enterprise Manager (11g. 12C, 13C) software on Solaris and Linux platforms.
- Perform build activities such as cluster software builds, database software installation and configuration.
- Work closely with system, network, and SAN administrators to provide highly available and scalable solutions.
- Create, develop and maintain database engineering documentation.
- Interpret business trends to ascertain appropriate optimization of application ecosystems, driving cost effective solutions and continuous improvement through database design and implementation.
- Provide support and direction on database software patching and database life cycle management firm policy.
- Participate and server as a SME with diverse development and support teams to provide expertise on database issues, performance and scalability.
- Review and implement schema designs, DDL and ensure database activities meet all firm security standards.
- Participate in tier-3 24x7 on-call operational support and root cause analysis activities.
- Design, build, and implement remediation plans as they relate to database architecture.
- Research new or emerging database technologies including database software and Agile deployment technologies.
- Ensure data structures support the changing needs of the business and the reliability of the databases in the production environment.
- Work closely with administrators and other vendors to determine best practices and trends in the industry for incorporation into firm design principles.
- Responsible for problem solving and leading database design in a large, complex application development environment.
- Advise software developers on best practices for improving performance, scalability and operational manageability of production databases.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, management information systems, computer science.
- Nine or more years of database engineering, design, development experience.
- Extensive RDBMS experience including technology competencies in Oracle RAC, RMAN and MS SQL 2012, and server clustering.
- Five years architecture and design experience using the Oracle Middleware Suite (WebLogic, SOA, OAM), Oracle Identity Management, and Oracle Enterprise Manager (11g. 12C, 13C).
- Eight years’ experience supporting databases on Solaris and Linux platforms.
- Extensive experience with shell scripting, performance tuning and scaling production databases is required.
- Experience working with relational data modeling, data warehousing and relational databases such as SQL, PL/SQL, and Oracle.
- Experience working with database development methodologies, design and implementation.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and communications skills.
- Strong, demonstrated skills in using a Windows development language, programming or scripting such as VBScript, COM, COM+, XML, Java, Perl, etc.
- Ability to comprehend and integrate business unit/client needs into appropriate database system.
- Exposure to Oracle data guard, data pump, and data modeling are desirable.
- Architecture and design experience for database systems technologies, with Subject Matter Expert knowledge in one or more database related technologies.
- Experience in application development life-cycle and alternative SDLC methodologies such as Agile.
- Microsoft SQL Server & Oracle Certifications are preferred.
Must be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance prior to starting
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC provides systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, SAIC has approximately 15,000 employees and annual revenues of about $4.3 billion.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: Sep 12, 2016, 2:27:48 PM
Primary Location: United States-VA-ARLINGTON
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job
To apply for this job, contact: