Alion Science & Technology (www.alionscience.com)
Full Time Employee
Support the U.S. Army's Tank-Automotive Research Development Engineering Center (TARDEC) vehicle electronics architecture mission on existing and future military ground vehicles. Perform research, development, and engineering on vehicle electronics and computers. Conduct requirements development, trade-off analyses, and market surveys, investigate technology transfer / insertion opportunities, perform testing, conduct failure analysis, and oversee production engineering. Assist managers with planning, scheduling, and executing programs with proper cost / schedule / performance controls.
Leads the planning, designing, production and maintenance of a variety of complex electric or electronic components, apparatus and/or circuitry for use in electronic devices. Determines conditions under which tests are to be conducted, conducts experimental tests and analyzes electronic equipment to establish production an d operation controls.
Supports senior technical level personnel and program managers in the planning, oversight, and execution of complex and advanced projects related to system and technical product development. Typically supports multiple project activities and may support multiple programs within the organization. Provides technical guidance and mentoring to lower level technical staff.
Recognized within Alion as a senior level contributor in the field, and may have begun to acquire a similar reputation in the external scientific and client communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Applies advanced technical concepts, techniques, and procedures to support multiple project teams in the development of technical products. Performs complex engineering work in design, evaluation, planning, testing and operation in support of program level system development, engineering analysis and research. Carries out complex assignments requiring the development of new research concepts or improvement of current techniques and procedures. Displays an advanced understanding and innovative use of concepts and principles in performing assignments.
* Supervises and reviews activities of staff, scheduling and assigning work to meet program/project completion dates. Works closely with senior customer personnel in providing solutions to complex problems and advice on technical issues.
* Exercises independent judgment in conducting complex analyses and development efforts, and provides technical direction to other staff. Educates and advises more junior technical staff members in the technical aspects of their efforts.
* Prepares and reviews input to major technical reports, status reports, letters, technical memoranda, contract reports and formal briefings.
* Based upon own ideas, prepares unsolicited proposals to secure new projects or the expansion of ongoing project activities that involve support of other staff members. Prepares or coordinates the preparation of complex proposals with contributions from several activities.
* Identifies opportunities for new program initiatives. Develops relevant briefings and specific project proposals, and works through appropriate channels to schedule presentation of these briefings and proposals to prospective customers.
* Is recognized within the organization in more than one area of technical expertise. Participates in the activities of professional societies. Authors/co-authors technical and scientific articles for publication.
* Complies with applicable quality and security procedures in the performance of duties. Establishes and monitors standards for internal quality programs. Provides recommendations for improvements to existing quality systems or applicable company procedures and guidelines.
* Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have experience performing research, development, and engineering on Vehicle Electronics Architecture, and integrating the resulting technologies into vehicles. The ideal candidate will have experience preparing and reviewing test plans, performing and observing tests, and analyzing test results to determine the adequacy of performance. The ideal candidate will have experience developing program plans and schedules, and executing programs with proper cost / schedule / performance controls.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related scientific discipline plus 8 to 10 years relevant work experience. Master's degree preferred. Degree(s) must be in engineering, computer science, mathematics or a related discipline.
Project Engineering experience.
In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for more than 15 years of applicable work experience. Work experience may be adjusted based on education, or highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience for positions involving new technology or labor market shortages as reflected by market survey data.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
* Demonstrated command of engineering principles, methods, and techniques in more than one area of expertise.
* Advanced knowledge of relevant tools, equipment, hardware, and software.
* Effective customer and organizational level communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
* The candidate must be able to obtain and hold a SECRET clearance.
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Alion will provide a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans who need assistance to apply. Please visit the Alion Careers site for more information
U.S. Citizenship Required.
To apply for this job, contact: