Research Scientist (Job Number:429416)
NRL Numerical Weather Prediction Model Evaluator The Naval Research Laboratory Marine Meteorology Division Monterey, CA is looking for a Research Meteorologist/Statistician to help support and develop the (Navy Global Environmental Model) NAVGEM model and associated data assimilation systems.
- An initial task will be creation and maintenance of baseline runs.
- This is used to provide a reference point for testing and evaluation. Further, experience in statistical evaluation of model performance is required.
- This includes monitoring of both the data availability, and the expected model performance.
- Model runs will use the existing workflow manager infrastructure for the global modeling system, which also has full ensemble capabilities.
- Depending on the candidate's interest, there are opportunities available for additional development of the workflow infrastructure, as well as the statistical post-processing and visualization of results.
- This position provides great opportunities for both basic and applied research, and state-of-the-art technology development that will advance the capabilities of systems used operationally by the Navy for weather and extended range predictions.
- Clearance Level Must Possess: Secret
- Clearance Level Must be able to Obtain: Top Secret (TS)
- Masters Degree in a physical science or mathematics.
- 1-3 years Fortran programming experience 1-3 years experience in Meteorology 1-3 years experience running NWP models 1-3 years experience providing statistical evaluation of NWP model output.
- Nice to Have: PhD in Meteorology 1-3 years experience with Python 1-3 years experience with shell scripting (e.g. Korn, Bash).
- 1-3 years experience in Data Visualization techniques.
- 1-3 years experience in Ensemble Forecasting. 1-3 years MPI programming experience.
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC provides systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, SAIC has approximately 15,000 employees and annual revenues of about $4.3 billion.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: Jul 27, 2017, 4:00:00 AM
Primary Location: United States-CA-MONTEREY
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: Secret
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Top Secret
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job