Full Time Employee Contractor
The Software Engineer I is an entry level position focused on software development, integration and implementation of applications with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) client. The Software Engineer will provide architecture, design and implementation guidance to a cross-functional software development team dedicated to the Durable Medical Equipment Prosthetics and Orthotics (DMEPOS) Bidding system whose business process is twofold: 1) it provides a vehicle for submitting and evaluating DMEPOS bids of approved and accredited Medicare Durable Medical Equipment (DME) suppliers. This is expected to improve the quality of the suppliers and lower the risk of fraud and abuse and changes the way Medicare currently pays for DMEPOS supplies.
· Develop and maintain software, reliable web applications in a high traffic transactional data and data warehouse environment using the latest technologies following software engineering best practices.
· Develop data persistence based on commercial and open source relational databases.
· Provide thorough and automated unit test harnesses for developed solutions.
· Provide software development estimates outlining business and technical risks.
· Develop and deploy systems in an iterative, incremental process that fully incorporates testing.
· Contribute to enterprise software development initiatives.
· Participate in formal requirement, design, and code reviews.
· Regularly update technical and business teams as to plans, progress, and issues.
· Produce excellent, thorough, and concise development documentation.
· Analyze, modify and unit test software in support of customer issues.
· Assist with tier 3 help desk support
· Assist as needed with ETL development using Informatica.
· Work independently in determining impacts to Java code as per the requirements updates and fixes required for fixing defects
· Develop data and metadata policies and procedures for cross-functional software development teams to build, maintain and leverage the data model, ensuring integration with customer and industry data standards.
· Work with Business Analysts to correlate business requirements to domain entities and data elements
· Work with DBAs to implement data and metadata design into physical structures
· Work with Developers to design, implement and maintain scalable software solutions that use database structures designed and maintained by the System Architect
· Review and evaluate database performance, risk and financial analysis feasibility studies
· Monitor industry trends and directions to apply to current and future projects
· Develop and present technical recommendations to senior management
· Provides technical, strategic advice and guidance of the highest level to senior managers and technical resources in the creation and implementation of new data standards and databases.
· Provides complete assessments of the technical characteristics of proposals and alternatives considered to optimize database performance.
· Reviews and assesses technical proposals requesting changes or upgrades to the existing databases.
· All other duties as assigned or directed
· Good knowledge of Java EE, XHTML, JSF and facelets, Hibernate, SQL and Spring or any other frameworks desirable.
· Strong understanding on core Java, Object oriented design, Data structures, design patterns and collections, Multi-threaded programming, and Java standard APIs
· Working Knowledge of HP UFT / or equivalent test automation API
· Flexibility and ability to plan, prioritize, and execute multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
· Self-motivated, well-organized, and detail oriented
· The ability to conduct a wide range of tests and analyses to ensure that software, systems and services meet standards.
· Experience with iterative methodologies such as Agile, preferred.
Other Skills Required:
· Ability to assist in the collection and consideration of required information and data.
· Troubleshoot applications across different systems to analyze and identify problems and proposing fixes or workarounds.
· Willing to learn and adopt new technologies quickly
· Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
· Ability to work well independently or in a team environment
· Establishes and maintains effective professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders
· Must be able to adapt to organizational change
Years of Experience:
· 1+ years documented experience working Java based web applications
· 1+ years of Object Oriented software design, development and maintenance experience.
· 1+ years of experience working with relational databases and SQL
· 1+ years of test driven development/test automation
· 1 + years of systems analysis experience
Ability to obtain a public trust