The Hardware Engineering Center (HWEC) of Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) is an engineering organization that focuses on product design, producibility, and mission assurance. It is a vital area engaged in the integrated product development process that allows Raytheon to introduce reliable new products for its customers - faster, better, and more economically.
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems is seeking a Sr. Mechanical Engineer I to support multiple programs in El Segundo, CA. The selected candidate will be responsible for supporting conceptual and detailed mechanical design work on various mechanical, electro-mechanical, and electro-optical systems, including antennas, radio-frequency (RF) products/sub-systems, electro-optical sensors, laser products, and electronic components / devices for ground, airborne, and space-based system applications. Responsibilities will include the design of structures, mechanisms, thermal systems, and electronic enclosures. The engineer in this position must be able to engage requirements, participate in trade studies, and provide feedback on supplier proposals and data. The position requires strong computer-aided design (CAD) skills, as well as geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) experience, as well as the ability to work effectively on cross-functional engineering teams involving optics, mechanisms, structural analysis, thermal management, electronics, and high-precision mechanical assemblies. The selected engineer will be responsible for interpreting design requirements, advancing mechanical design details, and preparation for design reviews, including presentation of engineering work products to Raytheon management as well as customers. Candidate will be expected to learn and follow established Raytheon procedures and instructions, while working closely with their program and functional supervision, to ensure overall program design objectives are met.
Position is with the Electro-Optical Sensor Design department located in El Segundo, California.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in mechanical engineering design and/or product support.
- Strong mechanical design aptitude and desire to learn, particularly if in relation to optical-mechanical assemblies such as mirror and lens mounts, precision mechanisms, and advanced structures.
- Ability to apply basic physical principles, theories, and concepts within the mechanical engineering field, and general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Direct experience in developing detailed mechanical conceptual designs and documentation packages for optical and/or mechanical systems.
- Proficiency with commercial CAD software, such as PTC Creo Parametric 3.0/4.0, Siemens Unigraphics NX, DS Solidworks.
- Experience with electro-optical and electro-mechanical program manufacturing operations and processes.
- Experience in design, assembly, and integration of mechanical / optical systems.
- Experience in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T) analysis for drawings.
- Experience with Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio).
- Ability to obtain DoD Secret security clearance.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Prior experience in the Aerospace or Defense industry, ideally with similar or related hardware and/or mechanisms.
- Familiarity with space flight hardware, including involvement in material properties selection trades, sensitive hardware and electronics components handling.
- Flight-hardware experience in assembly, integration, and test environments, to ensure hardware system level performance (e.g. vibration/shock/modal testing, thermal cycling per MIL-STD-1540, ESD/EMI/EMC per MIL-STD-461).
- Laboratory test experience, to include use of control software such as National Instruments LabVIEW, MathWorks Simulink.
- Machine shop hands-on experience (lathes, end mills, grinders, et. al.), CNC machine operation experience, and/or additive manufacturing fabrication experience a plus.
- Additional CAD and analysis software experience, including experience with mechanical stress analysis, thermal analysis, and various support software packages (i.e. MathWorks MATLAB, MSC Nastran/Patran, Ansys Fluent, Mathmatica), desired but not required.
- Possess an active or in scope SSBI/SCI and/or DoD Secret/Top Secret security clearance.
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, or related engineering field, from an accredited university.Desired Education:
Master of Science or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, or related engineering field, from an accredited university.U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.