At Raytheon our air and missile defense systems have one mission: providing peace of mind.
Raytheon's proven interceptors, radars and space sensors work together to provide protection against ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, aircraft and other threats to protect our homeland, defend our allies, and help safeguard trade.
It?s a big sky up there, but we?ve got it covered. That?s our mission.
We are Raytheon Missile Systems, a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, security and civil markets where you?ll be part of a diverse global team working together to solve some of the most demanding challenges on the planet. We are seeking an experienced aerodynamics engineering professional with expertise in missile aerodynamics design, testing, and integration to develop new weapon systems.
This is a mid-level position within the Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) Center performing aerodynamics design, testing, and integration of missiles. The Aerodynamics Systems Engineer will apply knowledge of low/high speed aerodynamics, compressible/incompressible fluid flow, wind tunnel testing, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), boundary layer transition, and rocket propulsion in both ground and flight testing. The engineer will develop solutions to complex problems that require application of advanced technical principles. The role often requires acting independently to uncover and resolve issues associated with development and implementation of aerodynamic system designs. The Aerodynamics Systems Engineer will contribute to the successful completion of major program efforts and support technical leadership. The individual will support aerodynamic activities while interacting with program leadership to plan and execute programs milestones in support of long-range objectives.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Development of aerodynamic configurations and requirements
- Conducting trade studies to evaluate candidate system architectures including kinematic performance, stability, and control
- Planning, coordinating, and conducting high speed wind tunnel tests
- Planning, coordinating, and executing CFD analysis and tool development
- Development and implementation of aerodynamics models for use in 6DOF simulations
- Development and implementation of aerodynamic uncertainty models
- Analysis of air vehicle performance both in simulation and flight test
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
- B.S. Degree in one of the following: Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Physics.
- Six (6) years of professional experience in missile aerodynamic design and analysis, including architecture design and trade studies, requirements development, aero model development and implementation, and performance analysis using 3DOF/6DOF simulations, OTIS, POST, TAOS.
- Six (6) years of professional experience in subsonic/transonic/supersonic wind tunnel testing, ground testing, and flight testing with proven knowledge of fundamental concepts.
- Six (6) years of professional experience developing aerodynamic models (air vehicle force and moment data as well as panel loads) for use in 6DOF simulations combining data from various sources (e.g. wind tunnel test data, CFD data, empirical methods).
- Demonstrated experience taking a missile aerodynamic design from concept to flight test with experience deducing aerodynamic and propulsion subsystem performance from post-flight data analysis
Must have an existing or the ability to obtain a Department of Defense issued Secret Security clearance.Must be willing to relocate to Tucson, AZ (comprehensive relocation package available)
Desired Education, Skills and Experience:
Check us out on YouTube!
- MS or PhD in aforementioned disciplines
- Experience with subsonic, supersonic aerodynamics as well as familiarity with hypersonic/high altitude aerodynamics and thermodynamics and the fundamentals of missile stability & control and flight dynamics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Proven knowledge working with CFD++, Pointwise, CART3D, and Missile DATCOM
- Performance analysis by simulation including verification and validation techniques
- Knowledge and background in flutter analysis and aeroelasticity
- Ability to operate independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior leadership and other engineering disciplines
- Experience managing suppliers. Experience generating specifications and statements-of-work
- Ability to obtain a Department of Defense issued Top Secret Security clearance (TS/SCI)
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.