Raytheon seeks an experienced Mechanical Engineer / Thermal Analyst committed to providing top-quality electronics products for the nation’s defense, in a cooperative and collaborative work environment. The position of Principal Mechanical Engineer / Thermal Analyst is available with the following responsibilities:
- Perform conceptual and detailed thermal analysis of Antennas, RF products/sub-systems, EO Sensors, and Electronic components / devices for application in ground-based, airborne and maritime defense. Responsibilities include the analysis of thermal systems, air- and fluid-flow systems, and air- or liquid-cooled electronic enclosures. Analysis incorporates extensive and detailed use of finite-element tools, as well as classical methods / hand calculations to perform temperature predictions of electronic components and experiment design
- Work intimately with hardware design team during conceptual and detailed mechanical design phases. Design and perform engineering and verification/qualification tests
- Coordination with vendors / suppliers, to include product analysis review and establishing design requirements.
- Utilize thermal analysis and design capabilities to further Raytheon’s competitive advantage through cutting-edge Internal Research and Development (IRAD) activities
- Candidate will be expected to follow established procedures and instructions while working closely with program and management supervision to ensure design objectives are met
- Occasional travel is required
- 6+ years of experience performing thermal analysis or equivalent educational background, 4+ years of experience with an MS degree and 2+ years with a PhD
- Experience with commercially-available finite-element or finite-difference thermal analysis software, such as Icepak, FLUENT, Star-CCM+, ANSYS, or NASTRAN
- Thermal design, analysis, and thermal testing experience of electronic assemblies
- Experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills, with ability to discuss technical material with others in a teaming environment
- Ability to solve difficult problems by applying basic scientific principles and concepts
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access US only data systems.
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.
- Thermal design/analysis of semiconductors and/or electronic packaging
- Knowledge of commercial CAD software, such as Creo, SolidWorks, or Unigraphics
- Ability to read detailed engineering drawings and specifications
- Programming experience in Matlab, Python, C++, or Visual Basic
- Structural / stress analysis experience
- Existing security clearance and prior experience designing, testing and / or supporting aerospace / defense-related products
: Must have a B.S. or higher from an ABET accredited university with a major in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Math, or other related fieldDesired Education
: M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or related field from accredited university
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.