The Mechanical Subsystems Directorate (MSD) is seeking a Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer as a Hypersonic Structural Systems Development Lead that is responsible for development and test of high temperature structural systems for Hypersonic Air Vehicle products designed and produced by Raytheon Missile Systems. Candidate will have a lead role on the product development team, responsible for an optimized selection of high temperature and conventional material systems. Candidate will be responsible for creating master materials development program plans for verification of mission performance, operability, and durability. Candidate will be responsible to lead materials test programs at mission representative (hypersonic) flight conditions, from technology demonstration to mission qualification testing. Responsible for coordinating materials test resources, high temperature tunnels, with Raytheon, customer, and supplier teams, completing development efforts within program schedule and cost constraints.
The candidate will be expected to effectively present their work in program and business unit reviews and to provide expert counseling and mentoring to early career engineers.
As a Senior Principal Engineer, the individual is expected to function without appreciable direction or supervision exercising considerable latitude in defining terms and conditions of deliverables in collaboration across Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, and Quality. Candidates should possess and articulate a proven record of delivered performance through data driven decision making, risk and opportunity management, and systems thinking to assure delivered product performance relative to the Raytheon brand name. Additionally, the candidate will promote a teaching culture in developing new talent through intentional engagement of early career and mid-level engineers to share knowledge, lessons learned, and best practices.
As a core team member your tasks will include:
Required Experience and Skills: A minimum of 10 years of applicable experience focused on development, integration, and testing of advanced hypersonic systems
- Influencing hypersonic air vehicle development test planning in pre-proposal and proposal phases
- Leading high temperature materials development efforts from material selection, through design and analyses, to verification test
- Coordinating high temperature material systems development with Materials and Processes Engineering in support of hypersonic product development programs
- Reducing costs for hypersonic material systems development
- Briefing senior Raytheon personnel and customers
- Collaborating across Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, Quality, and external test resources
- Interface directly with Office of the Chief Engineer and Program Management Office
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Development Test of high temperature material systems
- Experience demonstrating the ability to lead multidisciplinary team
- Experience demonstrating the ability to establish cost effective methods for high temperature material systems testing and validation
- Experience generating proposals for development test programs
- Experience within aerospace industry
- US Citizenship is required as a DoD issued security clearance is required for this position
Required Education:Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering , Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or other applicable engineering or science degree
- Master’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering
- 14 plus years of professional experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities from multiple sources
- Preferred broad experience with high temperature metallic and composite material systems development test, applicable to hypersonic flight regimes
- Prefer specific experience in design, analyses, material properties, manufacturing processes, and development test in one or more of the following areas:
- Shape Stable (Lo/No Ablation) Sharp Leading Edge components
- Thermal Protection Systems
- Hi-Temp Materials Development: Composite, Metallic, Ceramic
- High Temperature Insulation
- Hi-Temp Materials Test Techniques (eg Arc Tunnel)
- Supporting Thermal / Structural Modeling & Analyses
- Strong interpersonal skills working in a team environment with positive interaction
- Demonstrated ability to put forth and drive technical execution plans
- Excellent communication skills; both verbal and written
- Security Clearance: Existing DoD Secret clearance preferred
- Experience with and presenting to FRB, ERB, CCB, MRB, PCB, PMAB, etc.
- Knowledgeable in government processes such as IMS, EVMS, SPI, CPI, etc.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.