Do you have a passion for control actuation systems, mechatronics, and control systems engineering?
Do you enjoy practical, hands-on work implementing and commissioning control actuation systems?
Do you enjoy working in a laboratory environment testing, characterizing, and troubleshooting actuation systems?
If you can answer “yes” to these questions then we want to talk to you!
We are Raytheon Missile Systems and we are seeking an engineering professional with experience designing and analyzing control actuation systems for high performance missiles. The ideal candidate will have experience working with electro-mechanical and possibly pneumatic/hydraulic actuation systems and have a passion for control systems engineering. Four years applied experience required.
The Mid Career Control Actuation Systems Engineer will design and analyze control actuation systems that employ permanent magnet brush and brushless DC motor technology. This role also requires devising, implementing, and executing complex engineering test methodologies for high power density actuation systems to aid in subsystem performance characterization and failure investigation. The Control Actuation Systems Engineer must be an independent, self-starter comfortable working through ambiguity by willingly researching problems and interfacing with multi-disciplined teams, organizations, and subject matter experts as necessary to bring clarity to the assignment.
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
Security Clearance Requirement:
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
- Secret (TS/SBI desired)
- Must currently have or be able to obtain a DoD issued Secret Security Clearance. At a minimum, an Interim Secret clearance will be required in order to start work.
Desired Education, Skills and Experience:
- B.S.· Majors: Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics – General, Aero & Astro Eng,
- Six (6) years experience in the design, test, and analysis of control actuation systems. Proven knowledge of fundamental concepts, with high level of analytical ability to drive technical solutions.
- Experience with continuous time, discrete time, linear and non-linear modeling and simulation of actuation systems using MATLAB® / Simulink technical computing software packages.
- Experience designing control algorithms for closed loop automatic control systems.
- Proficiency in trade studies and requirements flowdown and verification.
- Familiarity with electric motor construction and theory of operation
- Familiarity with sinusoidal and trapezoidal commutation schemes for brushless DC motors.
- Experience analyzing actuations systems to include one or more of the following:
- oComponent sizing
- oSizing brush and brushless permanent magnet direct current (DC) motors
- oKinematic analysis of actuation system effectors
- oPower dissipation, energy consumption, and regenerative energy analyses
- oFrequency domain analysis (gain & phase margin)
- oTime domain analysis
- oStiffness analysis
- oDuty cycle analysis
- oTorque / force versus speed analysis
- oParameter variation and sensitivity analysis
- Familiarity with Matlab, C/C++, or other high-level programming languages.
Check us out on YouTube:
- M.S.· Majors: Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics – General, Aero & Astro Eng,
- Eight (8) years experience in control actuation systems design and analysis.
- Familiarity with the design and construction of permanent magnet DC motor drive power electronics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience modeling and analyzing line-of-sight pointing and stabilization systems.
- Experience in designing and analyzing pneumatic and hydraulic control actuation systems
- Experience with actuation system testing (e.g. frequency response, static and dynamic stiffness and backlash, step response testing, torque / force versus speed testing)
- Experience with post processing and analysis of actuation system test data and post flight telemetry data to deduce actuation system performance
- Practical experience commissioning microprocessor based closed loop control systems
- Experience with dSPACE real-time microprocessor based rapid prototyping systems
- Experience in troubleshooting and fault-isolation of electromechanical actuation systems
- Experience implementing and troubleshooting digital communications interfaces such as RS-422, RS-485, Controller Area Network (CAN bus), and IEEE 1394
- Experience working with the following: electronic test equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, various instrumentation systems such as force / torque transducers, thermocouples, tachometers, digital encoders, resolvers, and inductive current measurement systems
- Patents and publications in applicable technical areas.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.