General Dynamics Mission Systems (https://gdmissionsystems.com/careers/)
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience.
Applicants selected may be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) is seeking an Commodity Engineer with experience in the design, fabrication and testing processes for Hybrids, Oscillators, Filters, Amplifiers and Integrated Circuits. The candidate will perform inspection and auditing/surveillance services to monitor manufacturing and quality processes at our various contract manufacturers and electronic manufacturing services providers and to approve manufactured items completed and presented for General Dynamics for buyoff. Involves working closely with project eCAD design teams to review schematic drawings/files with the expectation to provide technical feedback and design guideline rules to meet the space and military parts control plan requirements. The candidate will work closely with Supply Chain Buyers, QA and Suppliers to manage suppliers from a technical perspective and to ensure compliance of the components to the flow down requirements through supplier visits, audits and technical interchanges. Job requires travel to suppliers and possibly customer facilities. Candidate will need strong communications skills as well as technical experience and knowledge.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
• As a Commodity Engineer you will use your formal experience to help designers select components to meet the electrical design requirements, derating analysis, test recommendations, quality level, foot print restraints, and general workmanship to the requirements.
• The candidate will interface with designated points of contact at manufacturers and suppliers. Utilizing your expertise, you will compare the products with released engineering drawings, purchase orders and other contractual requirements as specified by operations.
• Participates in supplier quality and capability audits and works closely with suppliers to identify and resolve technical issues that adversely impact quality and reliability of supplier products, along with certifying of new and existing suppliers.
• As a Commodity Engineer, you will be the primary contact between suppliers and General Dynamics for quality and technical issues. You should stay aware of business protocol and ethics and be mindful of how your decisions affect the price and delivery of purchased items.
• Provides Supply Chain Management organization technical guidance to ensure that parts being procured match supplier capability and ensures that supplier quoted costs are reasonable based on technology, customization and required screening/testing
• Initiate and address corrective and preventive actions when non-conformances are noted in General Dynamics products or the processes used to produce General Dynamics products
• Analyzes engineering-design concepts of product to recommend part-level quality and test methods for attaining customer-specified system-level operational requirements, using knowledge of component construction and manufacturing/test processes
• Reviews New Part Requests and creates/validates part information using product lifecycle tools such as PDM Link
• Supports part-level failure analysis and root cause analysis and working with suppliers/projects to identify corrective action and recovery plans
• Participates in the development of Parts Procurement Drawings
• Participates in a Failure Review Board (FRB) as a team member and technical expert on part construction and failure modes
• Supports Incoming Inspection by performing data reviews for high reliability parts to in accordance with Part Control and Quality Management Plans
• Frequent estimating support by developing parametric cost models for various methods of manufacturing. This requires a thorough understanding of the steps required to manufacture various types ofl parts.
• Reviews GIDEP documentation and provides recommendations to programs
• Work closely with Project Leaders, Electrical/Mechanical Engineers and with other professionals within the project teams
• Occasional contact with business development functions including proposal estimating support
• Travel may be required
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Very strong use and understanding of electrical engineering concepts, principles, and theories
Frequently contributes to the development of new theories and methods
Very strong understanding of electrical engineering processes
Aware of business objective and Engineering role in achieving
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran