The Product Manager is responsible for discovering and delivering products that are valuable and usable for our customers as well as feasible to implement from a technology and business point of view.
As part of the Product Management organization, you will have the opportunity to discover and create the next generation of online automotive shopping and ownership experiences – positioning CarMax as a best-in-class company online.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Vision and Strategic Leadership
• Acquire and grow a deep knowledge of the customer – serving as the ultimate voice of the customer on the product development team
• Acquire and grow a deep knowledge of the business and the stakeholder needs and constraints.
• Acquire and grow a deep knowledge of the retail and automotive industries, specifically from the point of view of how technology is being applied to power the customer experience from purchase through ownership
• Be an advocate for your product; articulate the customer and business value to all levels of the organization. Develop compelling presentations and prototypes to communicate your product vision.
• Champion the needs of business teams and stakeholders throughout the development process; ensure what is delivered meets the original goals and KPIs.
• Develop and manage the product roadmap for a respective area; align product improvements to support vision, goals and opportunities
• Lead a product discovery team to successfully prioritize opportunities and identify solutions
• Drive product team to obtain actionable insights through consumer research
• Maintain strong relationships with key business partners to ensure product plans are aligned with company objectives/plans
• Demonstrate fiscal responsibility in managing budgets and resource plans
• Play an active in external Product Management, UX, and/or Development communities
• Maintain strong relationships with implementation and business development teams to ensure solutions meet product goals
• Serve as an interface between stakeholders to obtain product input and ensure awareness and comfort with plans
• Lead a cross-functional team of engineers, designers, and business owners to drive the launch of the product. Make thoughtful decisions on the fly, constantly clearing roadblocks to getting your product live
• Define product requirements, stories and personas.
• Rationalize and manage an opportunity and product backlog; assign and manage priorities
• Provide decisions and approvals to delivery team
• Ensure impacted associates have the appropriate level of awareness, knowledge, buy-in and training of product changes and related processes
• Monitor performance and metrics post-launch; identify and drive improvement opportunities
Team and Process Development
• Drive collaborative innovation amongst team, to identify unique solutions to complex problems
• Partner with the Director of Product Management to develop guidelines, policies, practices and procedures to drive improvements to internal product management and development processes; partner with other product managers to identify opportunity areas and determine best practices
• Proactively seek out and champion new product opportunities, outside of direct area of responsibility, to improve the broader customer experience and drive business results
• Manage 3rd party vendor relationships; evaluate 3rd party vendor needs within the context of the product
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• BA/BS Degree required. Master’s Degree a plus.
• 5+ years experience in web product management or related field. E-Commerce experience a plus.
• Technical background (software development experience) a plus
• Passionate about leveraging technology to power the customer experience
• Able to easily motivate and inspire team members, peers and stakeholders
• Innovative; thinks beyond boundaries
• Analytical; solves problems at root cause and prioritizes effectively
• Desire to always be learning and discovering; loves pouring through quantitative and qualitative inputs
• Continuous improvement mentality; never satisfied
• Technical product guru; understands the technologies behind products
• Strategic communicator – able to simplify complex messages and adapt communication style to audience
• Comfortable speaking to large audiences and executives
• Flexible and open-minded; proactively seeks input from others
• Exceptional organization and results focus; self-directed leader
• Entrepreneurial drive and spirit; enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
• Skilled in practicing Agile and Lean UX methodologies
• Handles constructive criticism with ease; adapts easily and efficiently to change
• Builds relationships; facilitates win-win solutions and obtains support from the organization