Raytheon is seeking a recent college graduate for our entry level Systems Engineer position in our team maintaining the Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) Common Ground System (CGS), a state-of-the-art ground system for the next generation of low earth orbiting environmental satellites. This system provides global coverage, monitors environmental conditions, collects, disseminates, and processes data about the Earth's weather, atmosphere, oceans, land and near-space environment. The Systems Engineer in this position will perform engineering tasks ensuring CGS subsystems function together within dynamic systems maintenance cycles supporting this operational ground system.
The successful candidate for this position will possess an interest in space systems and become part of a multi-disciplinary team of engineers with backgrounds that include Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Applied Math, Computer Science & Information Systems. One must bring a quick-response mindset to support investigation of system anomalies in operations as they arise, along with determining the CGS system configuration changes and fixes necessary to resolve them. The CGS is a large, complex, and geographically distributed system. Team members depend on teammates’ expertise in different subsystems, thus fluid communication, cooperation and cohesion among all team members is necessary for success. This position exists in a continuous-learning environment where everyone is expected to teach each other and have the confidence and interest to acquire knowledge that may be outside of one’s particular academic background.
Ground Systems Engineer responsibilities include:
- Contribute as a member of the Mission Support Team (MST) providing continuous engineering support of the operational system, including support for CGS system configuration changes and anomaly resolution.
- Adhere to and participate in the refinement of System Engineering, Integration and Test processes, and procedures.
- Apply best practice standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to resolve network and enterprise application problems.
- Ensure completion of assigned project/program milestones as directed by his/her immediate supervisor.
- Participate in technical and process reviews in order to resolve systems engineering and integration process issues.
- Participate in the development and review of Engineering Change Requests (ECRs), and Change Management Boards (CMBs), across multiple program levels.
- Participate in technical interchange meetings with team members and other program personnel, and represent the organization in matters pertaining to his/her functional area.
- Participate in risk and opportunity analysis, tracking and mitigation,
- Comply with all company safety requirements.
- Applicant must be able to support 24/7 Satellite Operations (nights/weekends included) as needed.
- Experience with both Windows and UNIX/LINUX operating systems.
- Experience in conducting analytical, and problem solving activities using structured problem solving techniques.
- Experience establishing and maintaining working relationships with customers, users, and other peer groups.
- Experience in working in dynamic environments requiring ability to assess and prioritize tasks, managing time and resources to meet assigned deadlines.
- Experience with the Microsoft Office tools.
- Possess very good written and oral communication skills.
- Availability to travel.
- Ability to pass a National Agency Check to ensure you can be awarded a Common Access Card (CAC) which grants access to government systems.
Required Education (Including Major):Obtained a Bachelor degree in a STEM discipline within the past 18 months.This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
- Demonstrated experience with one or more of: Perl, Java, C++, Python, Ruby.
- Familiarity with NAS/SAN storage.
- Familiarity with Desktop/Server Virtualization.
- Familiarity with security engineering and/or network engineering.
- Familiarity with systems engineering techniques and life-cycle management.
- Familiarity with structured analysis and design methodologies, object-oriented analysis and design methodologies.
- Familiarity with real-time satellite command, control and communications systems.
- Comfortable presenting briefings to leadership and management.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.