District of Columbia
Deputy Voice and Data Engineering Manager (Job Number:441465)
The Department of State, Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM) Telecommunications, Wireless, and Data (TWD) Division provides its users with mission critical domestic LAN/WAN data and voice services across multiple locations in the DC Metro Area and remote locations. In support of these services, the PMO Voice/Data Deputy Engineering Manager oversees a team of voice and data engineers who support voice and data services, with a particular focus on project engineering initiatives to include engineering support for service interruptions, planned equipment installations, and infrastructure support. The PMO Voice/Data Deputy Engineering Manager reports directly to the PMO Director and Voice/Data Engineering Manager, and provides leadership and technical mentorship/guidance to a group of technical engineers in regards to status of all ongoing project initiatives, plans, system upgrades/enhancements, as well as knowledge of ongoing operational activities with.
The well-qualified candidate will possess and apply sound network engineering (LAN/WAN and voice) principles to set the tone and pace for the maturation of TWD. The candidate must be a self-starter, providing leadership, technical direction and supervision to TWD personnel supporting the operations and maintenance activities across the IRM IT enterprise. The candidate must be capable of evaluating personnel, processes, service performance, and leading teams in response to project delivery and/or escalated incidents/problems, performing risk assessments, and effectively managing and directing staff to ensure services are performing optimally.
Description of Leadership Duties:
- Provides day-to-day leadership and oversight to a Team of technical engineering professionals.
- Prioritizes, assigns, monitors, and reports on technical engineering and project-related efforts, in coordination with the PMO Director to include other Team Leads and DOS customers, to ensure a high-level of customer satisfaction in a performance-based contracting environment.
- Mentors and tracks performance of TWD technical support staff.
- Manages engineering execution through development, implementation, and execution of processes and procedures designed to enable consistent, high-quality execution and effective control of service delivery.
- Interfaces on a daily basis with the Government Project Managers, Branch and Division Chiefs, and Department of State personnel.
- Develops and maintains effective and efficient working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders to include DOS and other contractors and vendors.
- Supports development of periodic status reports to both Vanguard 2.2.1 and DOS senior leadership on the performance of Vanguard 2.2.1 staff and services.
Description of Daily Duties:
- Works with PMO Director and PMO Project Managers to direct, schedule, and monitor project initiatives and/or operational support across a team of 15 engineers the installation, configuration, and documentation, of project-related and ongoing operations support for data and voice network services.
- Works with PMO Director, as needed/requested, to review/update project status captured via iSchedule (a project management information system tool); schedule and monitor engineering resource availability.
- Accountable for meeting and/or exceeding all project-related milestone deliverables.
- Interfaces frequently with Government FTE, PMO Director, Service Delivery Manager, Pipeline Lead, Customer Service Lead, Warehouse Manager, and Business Office Manager, as required, on upcoming project/engineering system implementation and maintenance activities, or unplanned events to ensure successful project completion.
- Performs quality review of and updates basis of estimates (BOEs), consent to purchase (CTP) material forms, circuit order request forms (CORFs)/quotes, and engineering implementation plans for all project-related initiatives.
- Develops, updates, and maintains standard operating procedures (SOPs), as required.
- Works closely with other IRM Offices to review/vet enterprise data and voice engineering designs/standards/templates and integrates/implements into all TWD-related project/operational initiatives
- Act as a point of escalation for TWD Service Delivery (TOC, NOC, and Installation) and Customer Service Support Teams in order to respond, support, and coordinate resolution of escalated service impacting incidents/problems/outages.
- Ensures all escalated tickets are actively monitored to ensure incidents and service requests are promptly addressed.
- Communicates all planned/unplanned service outages to management, Leads, Senior Watch Officers, and Government customers.
- Standing member and active participant of Enterprise Working Group initiatives.
- Participates and facilitates all project/engineering change request with local and Enterprise-wide Change Control Boards; briefs DoS IRM Enterprise Change Control Board of all changes; coordinates and informs TWD Service Delivery Team of all engineering changes for transition to Operations.
- Responsible for inputting, reviewing, and updating, all engineering related assets (routers, switches etc.) within the DoS configuration management database (CMDB) as assets are introduced or updated across the enterprise.
- Analyzes system logs to identify potential issues hardware, software, configuration and lifecycle management.
- Consults, researches, recommends and implements new data and voice solutions into the enterprise.
- Test and implements new hardware and software revision/feature sets/patch evaluation and trade studies to include periodic (annual) tech system refresh.
- Provide technical briefings (internally as well as with customer representatives), system requirements development, creation and maintenance of system documentation and drawings (specifications, logical and physical architecture and interconnect diagrams, etc.).
- Report and analyze all operational and performance based metrics to identify service improvement and/or training initiatives.
- Maintains enterprise awareness of system maintenance and outages, as well as world events that could impact IT operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related technical discipline with 10+ years of network engineering (LAN/WAN and VOIP) experience.
- Strong LAN/WAN/MAN design and migration experience with a focus on WAN services (ISDN, Frame-Relay, Point-to-Point, DMVPN, METRO ETHERNET, VPLS, TLS, and MPLS).
- Demonstrated technical leadership experience of leading a medium sized technical engineering team.
- Experience in strategic network engineering planning including converged/collaborative (data and voice) network.
- Consultation with internal business partners regarding software and hardware solutions.
- Demonstrated leadership experience of network engineers on a large network.
- Works extensively with Cisco Enterprise solution products.
- LAN/WAN/MAN design and migration experience with a focus on WAN services (ISDN, Frame-Relay, Point-to-Point, and MPLS).
- Expertise with VOIP to include H.323 and SIP
- Experience conducting site surveys and organizing the documentation in to an Engineering plan that can be used to present to government customers.
- Expert skills troubleshooting access-lists, IPv4 and IPv6 issues across varying protocols such as OSPF, BGP, and Static Routing.
- A detailed understanding and be capable of implementing various routing protocols to include OSPF, BGP and static routes.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral skills. From time to time, candidate may be asked to present project outline to customer.
- The ability to conduct research on networking products with various vendors to accommodate changing customer requirements.
- CCNP and or CCIE preferred
- Experience with Session Boarder Controller for Enterprise (ASBCE); Oracle/ACME Packet SBC’sCandidate must have very strong understanding and ability to implement Cisco router, switch, and ASA products.
- Experience with Avaya voice systems
- Experience with Network management and monitoring tools such as SolarWinds
Clearance Requirement: Secret required with ability to obtain TS; TS/SCI is preferred.
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC is Redefining Ingenuity through its deep customer and domain knowledge to enable the delivery of systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. SAIC's approximately 15,000 employees are driven by integrity and mission focus to serve customers in the U.S. federal government. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $4.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see My SAIC Benefits. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: Nov 7, 2018, 6:58:05 AM
Primary Location: United States-DC-WASHINGTON
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: Secret
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Top Secret
Potential for Teleworking: No
Travel: Yes, 10% of the time
Shift: Day Job