Raytheon is seeking a senior mechanical engineer to perform research, design, qualification and analysis of mechanical systems for military applications, with a focus on aircraft and armament products. The candidate will be responsible for the design of new products as well as the improvement of existing products. The candidate will utilize their mechanical engineering expertise during the development, production, and qualification testing phases of new product design.The candidate will create design solutions that meet product requirements using 3-D CAD modeling software, and prepare detailed data packages for use in production, integration, and testing.The candidate will provide leadership on mechanical issues to the project team, working closely with systems, electrical, and test engineers during product development.
The candidate should also be familiar with developing structural engineering specifications involving metallic, non-metallic/composite, and bonded structures. While one of the focus areas of this position is to perform dynamic and static structural analysis of mechanical structures, the qualified candidate may also be responsible for performing thermal stress analysis, transient thermal analysis, and supporting dynamic and climatic testing.
The candidate should be able to support multiple projects, in a fast-paced, team environment. An example of projects that may be supported include upgrades to military aircraft and ground vehicles, air armament equipment, and communication systems.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to solve complex problems that require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity, and provide examples of guiding the successful design of major mechanical assemblies.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Experience in the design, integration, and testing of mechanical components and assemblies
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to communicate to technical as well as management audiences
- Technical leadership capabilities, including the ability to lead the resolution of tough technical challenges
- Proficient using 3-D CAD Modeling Tools (CREO preferred)
- Experience with CAE tools for mechanical analysis (ANSYS or ABAQUS preferred)
- Working knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, (ASME Y14.5 standards)
- Experience with common industry and military specifications and standards
- Ability to analyze mechanical design requirements, allocate to mechanical products, and trace to features in the product design
- Experience generating engineering drawings, product structures (BOM), and reports
- Strong understanding of structural materials and manufacturing processes
- Ability to manage multiple, unrelated tasks in an organized manner
- 4+ years of related experience required, 2+ years with a related technical master’s degree
- U.S. Citizenship is required*
Required Education (including Major):Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace, Systems, or related field.*This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens.
- Prior experience in Defense or Aerospace
- Advanced technical degree
- Knowledge of government, industry and/or academic practices and standards related to structural analysis, finite element analysis, and structural verification testing
- Development of critical load cases - balancing mechanical loads and thermal loads
- Structural integrity analysis to assess static Margin of Safety as well as fatigue life (cumulative damage index)
- Design and/or analysis experience with thermal management in electronic assemblies
- Experience with NAVAIR 4.0 and/or SEEK EAGLE airworthiness processes needed to obtain flight clearance
- Technical proficiency in ruggedized product design with design compliance to applicable MIL-STD-810 and 461 standards
- Ability to estimate level of effort on projects/tasks for cost and schedule
- Experience in coordinating multi-disciplinary teams and leading projects
- Experience designing products utilizing casting, forging and extruded manufacturing processes
- Experience designing products utilizing injection-molded plastics and composite materials
- Experience designing to meet production cost targets (DFMA; DTUPC)
- Experience supporting the development of an Engineering/Data Requirements Agreement Plan (EDRAP)
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.