Raytheon Missile Systems, Albuquerque provides comprehensive expertise in high power electromagnetics; pulsed power engineering, diagnostics and effects testing; radio frequency and particle code simulation; Mobile Range® and airborne flight test; satellite systems support and tracking; large facility operations, maintenance, and engineering; sensor development and diagnostics; control and data acquisition systems; software and automation; materials fabrication, assembly, processing and coating; quality engineering; and document production, imaging and management. Key growth opportunities include the integration of directed energy weapons on combat platforms.
This position is the Section Manager for Mechanical Engineering and is responsible for leading a group of engineers reporting to the Engineering Department in Albuquerque. This position also serves as a Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer, often serving as the lead on Directed Energy or Mobile Range programs. The Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer is responsible developing new products, processes, standards, or operational plans. The engineer must also create improvements of processes, systems or products to effectively influence new designs for producibility and establish strong communication lines between multi-cross functional teams including external customers or vendors. In this role the engineer will typically manage a functional team of mechanical engineers supporting the development of complex assemblies and subassemblies. The role requires a management knowledge base and must possess expertise in mechanical engineering as well as a general understanding of other areas and disciplines.
The Mechanical Engineering Section Manager is responsible for understanding design requirements, assembly and test procedures and processes, and configuration management. The position requires experience in detailed design with knowledge of production. This engineering leader oversees the work products of mechanical engineers supporting concept, detailed design, and assembly and sub-assembly builds of Directed Energy or Mobile Range products. The Mechanical Engineering team works closely with systems engineering and manufacturing engineering, and is expected to support the engineering development team from conceptual design phases through preliminary and critical design, build, test and delivery of hardware.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively lead the Mechanical Engineering Team to successfully design and document solutions to meet program objectives and requirements
- Monitor program technical execution, interfacing with stakeholders (e.g., customers, program offices, subcontractors, vendors, etc.)
- Review and provide feedback on analysis trades, work products and program reviews for members of your team
- Enable continued growth of all levels of personnel through knowledge transfer, training and exposure to the Mechanical Engineering community
- Ensure junior engineers have consistent access to senior engineers to review work and provide guidance
- Provide timely feedback to group members throughout the year, and ensure sufficient reviews are provided by peers and program leads during mid-term and end of year assessments; address issues quickly with analysts if raised by program personnel
- Be responsible for requesting and obtaining needed software tools and licenses to enable efficient mechanical engineering work
- Lead the management of subcontractors required for the development of related equipment
- Ensure the consistent application of engineering best practices and common standards in accordance with Raytheon's processes
- Collaborate and coordinate with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, scientists, technicians, and support staff
- Participate in team meetings, design reviews, and engineering review boards
- Coordinate with team leadership (program management, chief engineer, sub-team leads) to execute program goals
- Hands on experience in hardware design, build and test
- Computer Aided Design software, especially SolidWorks and Creo
- Geometric Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Earned Value Management System experience
- Project leadership experience
- Strong customer and management presentation skills
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project
Required Education (including Major) and Experience:
- Microsoft Project
- Prior Department of Defense experience
- Already possess a SECRET clearance
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
- A minimum of ten years of related experience
Clearance Requirements:This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense SECRET clearance; existing clearance preferred
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.