General Dynamics Information Technology (www.gdit.com)
The data manager acquires, controls, and catalogs large scale, complex datasets for our customer’s mission. The position requires a highly detail oriented individual who understands the complexities of data movement and curation. The data manager will also be responsible for analyzing the customer’s current dataset catalog to identify areas of weakness which will then drive additional targeted dataset acquisition technologies as appropriate.
Responsible for designing, planning, implementing and administering databases, including security, access, and documentation.
1. Participates in the design, maintenance, enhancement, coding, and administration of relational databases.
2. Analyzes and determines information needs and elements, data relationships and attributes, data flow and storage requirements, and data output and reporting capabilities.
3. Coordinates new data development ensuring consistency and integration with existing data warehouse structure.
4. Reviews business requests for data and data usage, researches data sources for new and better data feeds.
5. Participates in continuous improvement efforts in enhancing performance and providing increased functionality, including performing proactive maintenance such as ensuring continued space availability, monitoring activity, and documenting problems, changes, and solutions.
6. Assignments may include design of data dictionaries, database structure and layout, installing, upgrading, and managing database applications.
7. Provides guidance and work leadership to less experienced Analysts, and may have supervisory responsibilities.
8. May serve as technical team or task leader.
9. Stay current on vendors' best security practices in relation to organizational requirements.
10. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
11. Participates in special projects as required.
12. Determine data that needs to be collected and resources to be used.
13. Organizes, implements, and enforces correct data collection policies and procedures.
14. Trains employees on proper data collection methods, tools and equipment.
15. Establishes data collection quality standards and ensures they are met.
16. Ensures that data management system is operating correctly.
17. Troubleshoots for solutions in all data-related problems areas.
18. Documents procedures for data management processes.
19. Develops methodologies for data collection and evaluation relevant to each project.
20. Performs analysis to determine adequacy of data collection and evaluation to each project.
21. Ensures data management system is compliant with all relevant laws and regulations.
22. Evaluates data management system to improve operational procedures.
23. Develops and disseminates data catalog reports upon request.
24. Performs presentation at meetings.
10-15 years of related database analysis and/or administration experience.
Proven ability to multi-task, independent, self-starter
Possesses excellent mathematical abilities and organizational skills
Demonstrates excellent analytical and critical thinking skills and pays close attention to detail
Displays strong management and leadership skills
Effectively communicate (verbal and written) with technical and non-technical personnel
For more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology has served as a trusted provider of information technology, systems engineering, training and professional services to customers across federal, state, and local governments, and in the commercial sector. Over 40,000 GDIT professionals deliver enterprise solutions, manage mission-critical IT programs and provide mission support services worldwide. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Bachelors Degree in a Computer Science or related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.