General Dynamics Mission Systems (https://gdmissionsystems.com/careers/)
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree.
Department of Defense SECRET security clearance is active at time of hire. Applicants with the desirable experience but without a current DOD security clearance may be considered. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Senior Mechanical Engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
• Performs design and development in such areas as mechanical, thermal, hydraulic, thermodynamic, or heat transfer for production, transmission, measurement, and use of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems, instruments, controls, engines and/or machines
• Leads development of strategic tasks or small projects by applying engineering and organizational knowledge and expertise to achieve technical goals
• Understands and interprets the technical, organizational and process aspects of the task assigned and can relate them to the technical needs of the overall project or organization
• Plans and executes small projects or task elements within larger projects, organizations, or for groups of projects
• Responsible for the completion of assigned engineering tasks or small projects within budgetary and scheduling guidelines
• Actively uncovers technical and organizational risks and ensures they are included in risk mitigation plans
• Participates in development of program strategies and teaming strategies as they relate to the assigned task
• Conducts feasibility studies and testing on new and modified designs
• Directs support personnel in the preparation of detailed design, design testing and prototype fabrication
• Begins participating in the proposal process
• Carries out other tasks, not listed, assigned by supervisor
• Travel may be required
• Security clearance required
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Good proficiency and able to perform all responsibilities associated with the position
• Grasps and applies new information quickly
• Ability to handle more complex assignments
• Must be proficient with considerable modeling CAD tools to create mechanical models and accompanying drawings
• Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes projects with little direction
• Considerable knowledge with technical standards, manufacturing/fabrication methods, government/industry standards
• Knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools is a plus
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
Candidates for this position should also have experience in the following areas:
Develop and review engineering drawings and technical documentations. Proficient with using AutoCAD Inventor drawing and modeling software.
Experience with hardware cabinets, enclosure, and structural design used in undersea platforms (i.e. submarines). Understand installation of equipment for thermal and mechanical stress/safety considerations.
Strong experience with environmental qualification testing of hardware and system components.
Strong experience and understanding with manufacturing and production processes, procedures, and standards (e.g. IPC620, ANSI, EIA, etc.). Support the build, inspection, and qualification of components, equipment, and assemblies.
Strong communication skills. Interface with managers, engineering project and team leads, and customers.
Comfortable with multitasking and customer presentations.
All Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
Exercise creative thinking and ideation to advance our business performance.
Deliver innovative, flexible, integrated solutions to meet customers changing business needs.
Support and engage in programs, projects and practices behind the General Dynamics Mission Systems culture and strategy, and comply with all policies and procedures.
Follow industry and department trends and developments to ensure General Dynamics Mission Systems services are consistent with, and/or superior to, industry best practices.
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
Structural Design and Analysis,
Engineering Drawing and CAD/CAE skills (AutoCAD Inventor Software desirable)
Thermal, Vibration, and Shock analysis of electronic equipment and systems
Manufacturing and installation procedures and processes
Submarine and Undersea Platforms and Environments
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran