The Mechanical Subsystems Directorate (MSD) is seeking a Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer Hypersonic Propulsion Lead, responsible for design and development of (airbreathing) Hypersonic Propulsion designed and produced by Raytheon Missile Systems. Candidate will lead engine design, analysis, and development efforts, including propulsion /airframe integration, for one or more propulsion systems, including ramjet, scramjet, and dual mode engines. Candidate will be the responsible engine design lead for the complete development cycle, from initial mission analyses and engine concept design, to verification testing.
The candidate will be expected to effectively present their work in program and business unit reviews and to provide expert counseling and mentoring to early career engineers.
As a Senior Principal Engineer, the individual is expected to function without appreciable direction or supervision exercising considerable latitude in defining terms and conditions of deliverables in collaboration across Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, and Quality. Candidates should possess and articulate a proven record of delivered performance through data driven decision making, risk and opportunity management, and systems thinking to assure delivered product performance relative to the Raytheon brand name. Additionally, the candidate will promote a teaching culture in developing new talent through intentional engagement of early career and mid-level engineers to share knowledge, lessons learned, and best practices.
As a core team member your tasks will include:
- Influencing hypersonic propulsion design and development planning in pre-proposal and proposal phases
- Leading engine design and analysis activities from concept to missile flight test.
- Guiding the development of hypersonic propulsion personnel skillsets, tools, and techniques needed to support the business
- Reducing design and development costs for hypersonic propulsion systems
- Briefing senior Raytheon personnel and customers
- Collaborating across Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, Quality, and external resources
- Interfacing directly with Office of the Chief Engineer and Program Management Office
- Interfacing with customer technical teams
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 10 years of applicable experience focused on design, development, integration, and testing of advanced hypersonic propulsion systems
- Experience in design and development of hypersonic airbreathing propulsion systems achieving required system performance, operability, and durability
- Experience demonstrating the ability to lead multidisciplinary team
- Experience demonstrating the ability to establish cost effective methods for design and development of hypersonic propulsion systems
- Experience generating proposals for hypersonic propulsion development programs
- Experience within aerospace industry
- US Citizenship is required as a DoD issued security clearance is required for this position
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Master’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering
- 14 plus years of professional experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities from multiple sources
- Preferred broad leadership experience with airbreathing hypersonic propulsion systems development across the engine development cycle (concept to flight)
- Prefer specific experience in leading design and analysis integration of, and demonstrated understanding of interactions across, the following:
- Inlet / Isolator Subsystem
- Combustor / Nozzle Subsystem
- Fuel Control Subsystem
- Thermal Management Subsystem
- Combined Roles of Computational Tools, Ground Test, and Flight Test, in a hypersonic airbreathing engine development program
- Strong interpersonal skills working in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to put forth and drive technical execution plans
- Excellent communication skills; both verbal and written
- Security Clearance: Existing DoD Secret clearance preferred
- Experience with and presenting to FRB, ERB, CCB, MRB, PCB, PMAB, etc.
- Knowledgeable in government processes such as IMS, EVMS, SPI, CPI, etc.
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering , Mechanical Engineering, or other applicable engineering degree