National Grid is hiring in Syracuse, NY.
To be responsible for the daily supervision and organization of assigned field staff to effectively, efficiently and safely accomplish job tasks in line with departmental and National Grid requirements.
The Construction Supervisor, under the general direction of the Manager, will be responsible for overseeing assigned contract work and coordinating the daily activities of assigned contractor crews to assure high standards of safety, security, environmental compliance, and assuring uninterrupted service is delivered to customers in a timely and professional manner consistent with Company and regulatory requirements.
- Provide leadership, technical expertise, contract interpretation and direction to assigned Underground and Overhead distribution line construction contractor personnel to ensure that high standards of safety, security and environmental compliance are developed and consistently followed at our construction contract job sites.
- Work closely with PM&CC department management, engineering, operations, contract personnel and others to develop a construction work plan that closely coincides with and facilitates timely effective completion of projects assigned in the construction contract work plans.
- Take a proactive role interfacing with district customers, engineering, design, and other interested groups to fully understand contract program needs and ensure that promised commitments are delivered on time and within budget.
- Participate in construction conference calls and meetings to report on status of assigned construction projects and maintenance work. Ensure safe and reliable construction and maintenance of the distribution systems consistent with company goals, objectives and policies, in full compliance with existing and relevant emerging government codes and regulations.
- Coordinate with department supervisors, field contract personnel, contractors and others to ensure that identified overhead and underground construction and maintenance work is scheduled in a timely manner to support andcomplement internal and external construction work to meet high quality work standards and construction practices.
- Document contract crew activities, prepare and present periodic oral and written update reports and verify the accuracy of contractor invoicing.
- Report on job progress utilizing a web-based reporting database.
- When required conduct Incident Analyses and prepare and present periodic oral and written reports.
- Assure that assigned field personnel are properly directed, trained and evaluated within Company guidelines and procedures to ensure National Grid standards, and environmental and safety regulations are consistently followed.
- Assure that required equipment, materials and tools used by assigned personnel are available and stocked.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of department emergency response procedures to help arrange and provide contractor storm emergency resource support as needed.
- Coordinate with internal and external resources for pre-bid and pre-construction meetings as required.
- Work closely with department management and provide leadership to ensure that organizational goals are communicated to assigned field construction personnel and contractors.
- Support management to sustain a contractor / in house Labor relations strategy, to support improved relationships, enhance operational flexibility, improve efficiencies and support business initiatives.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in construction, operation and maintenance of Underground and
- Overhead facilities with strong understanding of National Grid Construction Standards and work methods. 2 year Degree in a related engineering discipline and/or significant relevant construction experience, education and development in all aspects of utility distribution line construction operations; Underground and Overhead.
- Strong knowledge of Federal, State, OSHA, local, company Safety and Environmental rules and regulations.
- Ability to read job cards, prints, specifications, drawings, schematics, one line diagrams, instructional information and contract documents to construct, maintain and troubleshoot overhead and underground lines and equipment.
- Thorough understanding of electrical principles and the hazards associated with electrical distribution work.
- Good mechanical aptitude.
- Knowledge of company maintenance practices, safe work practices, Clearance & Control rules and Labor contracts.
- Field experience with switching and tagging, and ability to qualify as a higher authority/control authority.
- Hands-on experience with successful delivery of challenging Underground and Overhead construction projects.
- Able to travel throughout the service territory and willing to work extended hours when job requires and for system emergencies.
- Valid driver’s license with a safe driving history required
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.