• This position is that of electrical / firmware engineer.
• The purpose of this position is to support a variety of development and acquisition projects for ordnance items.
• Incumbent serves as an Electrical Engineer responsible for contribution in various projects, including all aspects of the product cycle.
• Technical firmware / software development experience is desired.
• Although primarily embedded firmware expertise is desired, well rounded technical knowledge demonstrated through experience with hardware power supplies, sensors, switches, human factors, electrical design, electro mechanical interfaces, development process, prototype development and/or product testing is desired.
• Duties will require the incumbent to work with explosives and ordnance items.
• The incumbent must be able to acquire an explosive certification.
• The incumbent will have access to classified material requiring secret security clearance and a position sensitivity level of 02.
• The incumbent must have in-depth understanding of electrical engineering concepts and emerging technologies.
• This position will include a vast array of project responsibilities.
• The incumbent must be self-motivated and able to excel in a fast-paced environment effectively handling customer deadlines.
The incumbent will be expected to contribute through:
• Technical skills
• Demonstrate skills in the creative process, generating ideas, concepts, and solutions to complex problems, a solid hardware understanding and background (microprocessors, analog controls, digital controls, switching power supplies), and significant aptitude in embedded firmware development. The candidate must have a results-centered and completion driven personality.
• Business skills: Has the ability to support project development planning and milestones, create estimates, meet deadlines, and has a customer oriented mindset.
• The ability to effectively communicate between coworkers, customers, and contractors will be required to execute the engineering duties. This position will also require the incumbent to support safety testing of designs and work with safety organizations to acquire safety approval for ordnance items. The testing will require hands-on work on test ranges during these extended programs. Other requirements of this position will include working on projects to procure items from industry, which will require significant interfacing with the contracting department and the generation of associated documentation. Some travel will be required, less than 6 weeks per year the first few years.
• Significant, recent, and technical embedded firmware development experience.
• Experience with software design for safety related systems (not required)
• Working knowledge of microprocessor based RISC assembly language (Microchip product experience is preferred but not required)
• Working knowledge of high level languages / assemblers / compilers for C, C++ , Java, etc)
• Experience with smartphone operating systems (Android / iOS ) and application development
• Experience with hardware/software interactions (boot up, race conditions, interrupts, de-bounce methods, etc)
• Capable of understanding interfaces with digital, analog, and / or mixed-signal circuit design
• Capable of circuit troubleshooting with test and measurement equipment
• Able to employ soldering and wiring skills to build up and test prototypes
• Applicant MUST have direct and recent experience in embedded firmware development and design.
• Examples of past projects (work, school, hobby) that demonstrate a drive to excel, design, create, learn and produce are beneficial.
• Examples of technical engagement within the engineering community also apply.
• Some examples of technical engagement include any applicable extracurricular and / or job related involvement in technical groups such as IEEE, technical subscriptions, conference attendance, or specific technical training.
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical/Software Engineering