Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
We are looking for a Lead Coordinator - Electric Works Methods for our Syracuse, NY location.
About the position: as the Coordinator of Overhead Distribution Lines, you will provide support to several groups across National Grid in the operations, maintenance and construction of the electrical distribution (46kv and below) systems. You will be expected to have a strong background in electrical operating procedures, construction, materials, work practices with Safety as the forefront to all of the above. Working closely with many groups is required in order to perform the job include Safety, Material Standards, Procurement/Buyers and Stores-Warehouse. T&D Work Methods also resides within the ESE - Electrical System Engineering Organization, for which at times you will need to work closely with Engineering on various projects and programs.
- Provide support for the operations, maintenance and construction of the National Grid companies’ overhead and underground systems 46kv and below.
- Work closely with operations personnel to assure National Grid construction standards and procedures are implemented.
- Perform post construction audits; compile reports on audit findings and corrective actions.
- Investigate equipment problems and failures with manufacturer and vendors with recommendation based on investigative results for corrective and preventative actions and or procurement of new equipment and materials.
- Investigate new equipment and tools which provide enhanced ergonomics, safety or efficiency; provide specification and direction to procurement for successful on-boarding.
- Support all request for incident analysis (IA’s) as Team Member and complete action items assigned.
- Promote a strong safety culture through leadership and being the ambassador of adhering to company procedures, safety rules and work practices.
- Review, revise and develop electrical operating procedures (EOP) for the construction, maintenance or operating the electrical system as scheduled, incident or mandated through regulation by working closely with safety, training, environmental, construction standards, and operational interests.
- Manage special programs and projects as required.
- Chair/participate in union/management committees on operational issues, equipment, tool, vehicle, and safety.
- Maintain open and strong communications within divisional assignment by participating in regular safety meetings; upon request from Director/Manager and Supervision in addressing operational concerns by providing uniform direction and expertise in work practices, tools, equipment, procedures and construction standards.
- Respond to and provide necessary support during local/system/mutual assistance emergencies
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (EIT or PE is desirable) with five years’ experience in electrical operations; or an equivalent combination of higher education, training and work experience will be considered.
- Experience on OH/UG distribution systems is required with a strong background in the overhead construction, operations and maintenance with Safety as the primary focus (CUSP Certification is desirable.)
- Be familiar with regulatory standards, interpret and apply accordingly in the interest of the company.
- Must be self-directed and highly motivated.
- Requirements include strong interpersonal skills, with very good analytical skills.
- Ability to work at heights.
- Applicant must have excellent oral and written communication skills, and knowledge of National Grids computer systems.
- Overnight travel is required and support of off-hours emergency work is required.
- Familiar with all Electric Operating Procedures (EOP) including completion of EOP Training Courses such as: Clearance and Control G014 and Personal Protective Grounding D002 are required.
This position has a career path which provides for promotional opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.