Machinist – Mechanical and Electronics Specialist - Trainee
Job ID: 463708BR
Date posted: Dec. 05, 2018
Description:IAM Hourly represented employees who currently work at the main (Sunnyvale/Palo Alto) unit, Santa Cruz, VAFB or Eastern Range facilities must apply to open requisitions on Brass Ring to be considered for the position.
This classification requires the performance of varied work assignments to acquire the knowledge, skill and ability required to perform the duties of a qualified Development Machinist - Mechanical and Electronics Specialist, which requires the complete setup, programming and operation of the following precision, standard, and CNC power machines: duplicating, shears, power brakepress, horizontal boring mill, jig borer, lathes, mills, planer and precision grinder. Includes the planning, layout, machining, fabrication and assembly of parts and tools developed to meet design standards and test. Perform inspection as required of in process hardware. Analyze, create and modify CADAM designs, resulting from engineering generated information both verbal and written.
Work in any Development Machinist - Mechanical and Electronics Specialist functions with technical assistance and guidance, or work independently with complete procedures or written instructions after initial on-the-job instruction and guidance.
Develop skills and acquire a working knowledge of functions, methods, procedures and techniques. Work with progressively less guidance and instruction as time in the classification increases. Demonstrate, while in this classification, the ability to independently perform the work described of a Development Machinist – Mechanical and Electronics Specialist, which includes:
• Develop, layout, machine, fabricate and assemble to specifying tolerance or extremely tight dimensions, intricate precision prototype, development and production parts and assemblies, sheet metal items and shop tooling devices, including dies, jigs and fixtures incidental to work being performed. Perform the complete setup, programming and operate above machine tools and metal fabrication equipment, using as necessary mechanics hand tools, precision measuring instruments, gauges, form blocks, templates, jigs and fixtures, level, portable drills, and special fabricating metal fitting and assembly tools.
• Work from sketches and/or verbal instructions in fabricating and assembling completely, intricate electronic detail parts and assemblies, requiring extreme care to ensure proper adjustments, clearances, alignments and coordination.
• Modify complete electronic assemblies, such as black boxes, power supplies and printed wiring assemblies to meet design changes and modifications.
• Utilize the Lockheed CADAM system to create and modify elements, dimensioning and annotating drawings per verbal or written instruction as part of the development and layout of the various assemblies.
• Complete bench work finishing, assembly and fitting of hardware. Perform precision grinding operations on cutting tools and parts.
• Work from complex detail drawings (both mechanical and electronics), sketches, templates, master models or verbal instruction. Work with precision gauge instruments in projecting and laying out angular and linear dimensions.
• Materials worked on include: Ferrous and non ferrous metals and their alloys, nonmetallic materials and unproved materials.
• Materials worked with include: Layout dye, lubricants and cutting oils, solvents, screws, nuts, bolts, parts and others.
• Apply a complete knowledge of machine shop theory, practice and procedures; advanced shop mathematics including trigonometry; set-up and operate all basic types of machine tools as required.
• Read and interpret complex engineering drawings, blueprints, sketches and follow verbal and written engineering instructions.
• Knowledge and ability to use all required hand tools, equipment, materials and machinery per best shop practices and procedures.
• Use precision measuring instruments and geometric tolerancing to perform in-process inspection.
• Mastercam machine programming knowledge required.
• The ability to develop, layout, machine, fabricate and assemble to specifying tolerances and extremely tight dimensions.
• Perform intricate precision prototyping, development and production of parts and assemblies, sheet-metal items, including dies, jigs and fixtures incidental to work being performed.
• Ability to perform the setup, programming and operation of machine tools and metal fabrication equipment, using as necessary mechanics hand tools, precision measuring instruments, gauges, form blocks, templates, jigs and fixtures, levels, portable drills, and special fabricating metal fitting and assembly tools.
• Ability to work from sketches and/or verbal instructions in fabricating and assembling completely intricate electronic detail parts and assemblies, using extreme care to ensure proper adjustments, clearances, alignments and coordination.
• Ability to work from complex detail drawings (both mechanical and electronic), sketches, templates, master models or verbal instruction. Work with precision gauge instruments in projecting and laying out angular and linear dimensions.
• Experience with ferrous and non ferrous metals and their alloys, nonmetallic materials, and unproved materials.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.
Experience Level: Hourly/Non-Exempt
Business Unit: ESS4400 SPACE
Relocation Available: No
Career Area: Technicians
Clearance Level: Secret
Virtual Location: no
Work Schedule: 9x80A-9,9,9,9,8 hrs/d in wk1, /9,9,9,9,off in wk2