National Grid is hiring a Senior Supervisor for our Gas Construction Contractor Oversight LI Department, Bellmore, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
Supervisor of external Gas Contractor crews performing all aspects of related work. Manage the local construction process to ensure the following: Safe and reliable installation of the transmission and distribution systems consistent with Company goals, objectives and policies, in full compliance with governmental codes and regulations. Extensive knowledge of our gas system a must..
- Sound implementation of construction policies and procedures that maximize customer satisfaction and fulfill statutory requirements while meeting or exceeding company growth goals.
- Direct all aspects of the construction process to meet Company goals while remaining fully compliant and within budgetary limitations ensuring the timely and cost effective installation of facilities.
- Monitor safety, performance, productivity and workload as needed to maximize efficiencies and cost-effectiveness.
- Cultivate relationships with all outside agencies while protecting the Company's.
- Motivate, coach, challenge and provide developmental opportunities for subordinates.
- Maintain industry involvement to keep abreast of changing technologies and best practices.
- Develop continuous improvement initiatives in support of the Company's strategic objectives.
- Foster cooperative working relationships with bargaining units and contractors.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the various systems and technologies that support the construction process.
- Facilitate and support the construction process.
- Manage the utilization of resources (personnel, vehicles, and equipment) to ensure a timely response, monitor safety, performance, productivity and workload and re-balance as needed to maximize efficiencies and cost effectiveness.
- Ensure that all work is performed in accordance with Company standards and procedures, PSC Code requirements, OSHA, and municipal rules and regulations.
- Ensure accurate reporting of work including SOP's, work order historicals, daily completion reporting, sketches, Operations Qualification, etc.
- Respond to emergencies and supervises a workforce that operates on a 24-hr 7day/week basis.
- Standby assignments on a rotational basis as well as overtime to respond to emergencies and ensure public safety are required.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Strong leadership, influencing, customer orientation and communication skills, providing the ability to promote team working and harmonious working between site staff, project teams and contractors.
- Four year college degree (Engineering degree preferred) or prior work related experience required.
- Five plus years of proven managerial experience with a focus on construction policies and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of Company policies and procedures, and technical competence to prudently apply these to support construction operations.
- Extensive knowledge of the gas transmission and distribution system, engineering, construction & maintenance practices, gas utilization equipment, gas metering, and the electric distribution system; Federal, State, and Municipal Codes, Company standards and procedures as well as computer operations are essential.
- Familiarity with Construction standards, Work Methods, Rules for Safe Operation, and associated procedures, knowledge of Company policies and the application of the Collective Bargaining Agreement are needed.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required, in addition to planning, organizing and computer skills.
- Prior experience dealing with diverse groups such as gas and/or electric customers, government officials, etc. in a tactful and diplomatic manner is vital.
Job Dimensions- Budget/Direct Reports
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.