System Safety Engineer - Ordnance (mid-career level)
Job ID: 463673BR
Date posted: Dec. 08, 2018
Description:The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Our culture encourages employees to dream big, perform with excellence and create incredible products. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus and if you have the passion and courage to dream big, we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
Lockheed Martin Space (LMS) in Huntsville, AL has an immediate opportunity for a mid-career System Safety Engineer who wants to be part of this mission. If you have an interest in working for a company that develops national defense systems, come and be a part of our System Safety Team. At Lockheed Martin Space, we are driven by innovation and integrity. We believe that by applying the highest standards of business ethics and visionary thinking, everything is within our reach – and yours -- as a Lockheed Martin employee. Lockheed Martin values your System Safety skills, training, and education. Come and experience your future!
In this System Safety Engineering (SSE) position you will provide support to a hypersonic missile program as a member of the Program’s SSE Team. With a focus on ordnance, you will ensure that safety is designed into hardware and software products and that controls are incorporated and remain effective while assuring compliance to safety requirements. In addition, you will ensure that risks are identified, mitigation, residual risk accepted, and documented. This role will also require that you review, track, and assess hardware and software changes for hazard impacts, and develop, maintain, and update safety hazard analyses.
As our SSE, your responsibilities will also include the following tasks:
• Develop and/or update Preliminary Hazard List (PHL), Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), Functional Hazard Analyses (FHAs), System Hazard Analyses (SHA), and Safety Assessment Reports (SAR)
• Prepare presentations and participate in Design Reviews, Test Readiness Reviews, Technical Interchange Meetings, and various working groups and safety review meetings
• Support the development and updating of System Safety documents to support Customer, Range Safety, and contractual requirements
• Review and provide input to test procedures for adherence to System Safety requirements
• Coordinate with test range safety teams and writing range safety reports to support testing
• Assist in the development and maintenance of a Hazard Tracking System (HTS) used to document real and potential hazards, their assessments, and their respective mitigations
You will use your system safety experience to evaluate hardware and software ensuring mission success with occasional travel (up to 25%) being required. Work is performed at the LM Space (LMS) campus in Huntsville, Alabama and will require frequent interaction with multiple external and internal customers. The HCSW Program is fast paced and as a result some overtime will be necessary to accomplish required tasks.
Our employees working in this level of position typically have 9 - 15 years of professional experience.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking. Lockheed Martin Space offers a total compensation package from competitive wages, on-site medical care, 25 three-day weekends, and healthy living incentives just to name a few reasons to join Lockheed Martin.
• Demonstrated knowledge of MIL-STD-882E and its associated System Safety Tasks.
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of System Safety design and operations safety principles to include experience with hazard identification, analysis, risk mitigation and associated deliverable documentation.
• Demonstrated knowledge of missile ordnance.
• Proficient in drafting Interim Hazard Classification Technical Data Packages.
• Demonstrated ability in identifying safety critical hardware and software.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
• Excellent verbal and written English language skills, good communication skills, and ability to interact well in group meeting/working environments with team members, development organizations and customers.
• Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Experience and familiarity with launch vehicle systems such as solid rocket motors; propulsion control; flight dynamics; vehicle system management; fault protection/fault management; launch, flight, and abort operations/processes; and software safety.
• Familiarity with IBM DOORS requirement management database.
• Resourcefulness, creativity, and the ability to take the initiative in development and completion of work projects under minimal supervision.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Business Unit: ESS4400 SPACE
Relocation Available: Possible
Career Area: Systems Engineering: Other
Clearance Level: Secret
Virtual Location: no
Work Schedule: 9x80A-9,9,9,9,8 hrs/d in wk1, /9,9,9,9,off in wk2