General Dynamics Information Technology (www.gdit.com)
Designs and defines system architecture for new or existing computer systems.
Systems Engineer - Operations Integration Level Expert
The primary responsibility of this position is to provide the Operations Support on the DevOps team within the Group. They will support the integration of new systems, applications, and networks. Performs all System Administration functions, as well as DevOps related duties and integration into the development cycle.
This role requires someone with proven experience with Cloud architecture, DevOps minded approach, and implementing solutions that support requirements of varying complexity. In addition, the candidate will be working alongside the development staff in planning and managing the coordinated effort of a team of stakeholders, information technology and related technical professionals.
This position is located in the Herndon/Chantilly corridor and is a night shift role - potential shifts are 4 / 10's starting at 12 noon or later.
Duties and Mandatory Skills:
• Understanding of all phases of the software development lifecycle, the system engineering lifecycle, and the ability to comprehend end-user business needs and concerns while integrating the understanding with technical skills
• Demonstrated hands-on experience and knowledge of Linux platform (i.e. RHEL, CentOS) including administration, management, and troubleshooting
• Hands on experience designing and writing scripts (I.e. powershell, bash, groovy) for the automation of installations, deployments, and configuration
• High-level knowledge of Cloud Computing, Cloud Foundry, Cloud Watch
• Scripting experience with YAML, JSON (Ansible)
• Ability to work under pressure and time constraints
• Demonstrated ability to successfully multi-task simultaneous ongoing assignments and efforts
• Demonstrated experience performing the provisioning of development servers, networks, storage, use code versioning software, and performing software builds
• Executes code deployment / migration and system configuration across multiple environment to Linux / Windows servers
• Uses automated deployment tools, packaged RPM's, Maven, and Jenkins jobs
• Provides full integration support throughout the total system life cycle (including maintenance, administration, and management) across multiple systems/application/platforms, including a familiarity of relevant policies, standards, methods, and frameworks.
• Translate business and technical requirements into test cases, test scenarios, and operations scripts and strong people skills for working with end-users
• Ability to plan and account for impacts of system development efforts across architectural system components, critical business processes, data, and applications
• Experience with automation / configuration management (Ansible, Puppet, Chef) and DevOps
• Ability and willingness to learn job related material and tasks
• Desired skills:
• Expert knowledge and experience with Linux/Unix
• Strong virtualization
• Experience with TCP/IP and general networking issues
• Experience providing superior customer service and support
• Experience with data mining tools (i.e., Splunk)
• Experience with monitoring tools (i.e., Nagios)
1. Performs complex systems development and design work that may include logic design, I/O design, firmware development, model formulation, manufacturing and development cost projections, computer architecture analysis and design, and analog or digital systems engineering.
2. Performs systems modeling, simulation, and analysis.
3. Reviews completion and implementation of system additions and/or enhancements and makes recommendations to management and/or clients.
4. Plans and directs upgrades of operating systems and designs systems enhancements.
5. Develops documentation on new or existing systems.
6. Develops and directs tests to ensure systems meet documented user requirements.
7. Identifies, analyzes, and resolves system problems.
8. Provides system/equipment/specialized training and technical guidance.
9. Determines system specifications, input/output processes, and working parameters for hardware/software compatibility.
10. Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced systems engineers and may have supervisory responsibilities.
11. Serves as liaison with clients, participating in meetings to ensure client needs are met.
12. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
13. Participates in special projects as required.
8-10 years of related systems engineering experience.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.