Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Senior Engineer in Syracuse, NY.
National Grid is seeking an experienced Telecommunications Planning Engineer for a position within the Transmission Asset Management Department in our Syracuse, NY office.
This position reports directly to the Transmission Asset Management Manager and will be responsible for the short term and long term planning of National Grid’s Operational Telecommunications Networks and Systems in upstate NY. Scoping of cost effective, secure, scalable, & reliable telecommunications solutions in conformance with National Grid’s telecom policies, processes, procedures, standards, and guidelines as well as telecom network architecture & strategy. Telecommunications solutions may involve private radio networks & systems, fiber optic networks & systems, microwave networks & systems, smart grid communications networks, leased wired & wireless telecom services, or a combination of these in order to meet the company’s communications requirements. National Grid relies heavily on these telecom networks & systems to support the construction, operation, maintenance, and restoration of its electric & gas delivery networks. Engineer level/title will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s level of education, experience and knowledge.
- Serve as project sponsor for telecom-driven capital projects with responsibility to champion project drivers and scope to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead interdisciplinary technical teams through the optioneering process, develop project scopes, cost estimates and project schedules applying National Grid’s project progression model.
- Coordinate, plan, update, and drive the implementation of National Grid’s Operational Telecom Strategy & Roadmap, making sure all in-flight and future telecom projects and initiatives are in synch and staying within the framework of National Grid’s Operational Strategy & Roadmap.
- Capture & analyze current and evolving telecom requirements from internal and external stakeholders, keep up to date with telecom technologies and solutions, and keep up to date with changing FAA and FCC regulations as well as changes in telecom landscape so to communicate these changes to stakeholders and update National Grid’s Operational Telecom Strategy & Roadmap as appropriate. Provide planning and engineering services for radio, microwave, and fiber optic networks & systems to meet the needs of internal and external customers.
- Use strategic asset management techniques to prioritize assets and identify risks.
- Develop informed, comprehensive technical asset plans for maintenance and capital investment in order to improve business performance in the medium (up to five years) and longer term (up to 15 years.)
- Recommend asset condition based capital projects to internal National Grid management to obtain Delegation of Authority and seek approval from external stakeholders as part of the New England open access planning process.
- Provide input for medium and long term capital budgetary planning.
- Develop and implement processes, tools and documentation for Transmission Planning & Asset Management to maintain compliance with NYISO rules/policies, NPCC Criteria/Directories, NERC Standards, and FERC Orders.
- Support or lead development of technical policies relating to telecommunications assets and provide authoritative advice in order to support the realization of National Grid objectives.
- Research new technologies, investigate implementation strategies, and drive the conceptual development of innovative projects/solutions.
- Assist with asset management assignments for transmission lines and substations.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a telecommunications engineering field
- Familiarity with Cyber Security, Network Operations, IP Networking, NERC Transmission Planning Standards, NPCC Criteria and ISO and State level Transmission Planning rules with ability to understand how changes in those standards impact National Grid
- Ability to interpret results and recommendations from transmission asset engineering reports and transmission system analytical studies. Engineering reports include, but are not limited to, asset condition assessments, Process Hazard Analyses, environmental assessments and external industry publications. Analytical studies include power system thermal, voltage, and reactive analyses, as well as transient, dynamic, harmonic, and short circuit analyses as they relate to system reliability, economics, and operating flexibility.
- Collaboratively develop and/or implement policies, processes and procedures relative to Telecommunications Planning and Asset Strategy
- Valid driver's license with acceptable driving record
- Ability to prioritize work and be a team member on multiple projects at one time.
- Demonstrates strong negotiating and influencing skills with the ability to make persuasive presentations to small and large audiences. Consistently adapts the content / style of a message, based on an understanding of the climate and culture of a particular group and what will produce the best response
- Knowledge of safety policy and potential hazards of the electrical transmission network
This position has a career path which provides for promotional opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.