Are you a results-oriented hypersonic vehicle aerodynamics design engineer?
Do you have a strong desire to work on projects that are critical to the defense of our nation?
Do you enjoy leading and working on dynamic teams where you share your knowledge and also learn?
If you can answer "yes" to these questions, we want to talk to you!
We are Raytheon Missile Systems, a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, security and civil markets where you’ll be part of a diverse global team working together to solve some of the most demanding challenges on the planet. We are seeking an experienced aerodynamics engineering professional with expertise in missile aerodynamics design, testing, and integration to develop systems for hypersonic applications.
This is an advanced technical position within the Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) Center performing aerodynamics design, testing, and integration of hypersonic missiles. The Hypersonic Aerodynamics Systems Engineer (Senior Systems Engineer II) will apply knowledge of high speed aerodynamics, propulsion, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), shock wave/boundary layer interaction, boundary layer transition, and aero/structural/thermal interactions in both ground and flight testing. The engineer will develop solutions to complex problems that require application of advanced technical principles. The role requires acting independently to uncover and resolve issues associated with development and implementation of hypersonic aero/propulsion/structural/thermal system designs. The Hypersonic Aerodynamics Systems Engineer will guide the successful completion of major program efforts and support technical leadership. The individual will interact with senior leadership to help plan and execute programs to accomplish long-range objectives.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
Required Education (including Major): B.S. from an ABET accredited institution in one of the following: Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Physics.Required Skills:
- Development of hypersonic aerodynamic configurations and requirements
- Conducting trade studies to evaluate candidate system architectures including kinematic performance, survivability, and aerodynamic heating
- Participating in overall aerodynamic strategy/plan for design, analysis, and testing
- Planning, coordinating, and conducting high speed wind tunnel tests
- Planning, coordinating, and executing CFD analysis and tool development to predict aero/propulsion/structural/thermal effects
- Development and implementation of aerodynamics models for use in 6DOF simulations
- Development and implementation of aerodynamic uncertainty models
- Development and implementation of aero/propulsion/structural/thermal interaction models
- Analysis of hypersonic air vehicle performance both in simulation and flight test
- Six (6) years of professional experience in hypersonic missile aerodynamic design and analysis, including architecture design and trade studies, requirements development, aero model development and implementation, and performance analysis using 3DOF/6DOF simulations, OTIS, POST, TAOS.
- Six (6) years of professional experience in hypersonic wind tunnel testing, ground testing, and flight testing with proven knowledge of fundamental concepts and a high level of analytical capability to drive technical solutions.
- Six (6) years of professional experience in hypersonic CFD modeling and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience taking a hypersonic missile aerodynamic design from concept to flight test with experience deducing aerodynamic and propulsion subsystem performance from post-flight data analysis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working directly with suppliers; generating specifications and statements-of-work
- Must have an existing or the ability to obtain a Department of Defense issued Top Secret Security clearance.
- Must be willing to relocate to Tucson, AZ (comprehensive relocation package available)
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens. Raytheon is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.Check us out on YouTube!
- MS or PhD in aforementioned disciplines
- Experience with subsonic, supersonic aerodynamics as well as familiarity with hypersonic/high altitude aerodynamics and thermodynamics and the fundamentals of missile stability & control and flight dynamics.
- Proven knowledge working with CFD++, Pointwise, US3D, STABL3D
- Research and/or applied experience in advanced experimental or computational aerodynamic techniques
- Experience assessing system integration risks through test data analysis
- Knowledge of system engineering design methods including requirements analysis and flow down, specification derivation and interface control documentation
- Performance analysis by simulation including verification and validation techniques
- Ability to operate independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior leadership and other engineering disciplines.
- Experience leading a GNC focused development team
- Well known with established relationships in the hypersonic domain with patents and publications in applicable technical areas.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.