Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is seeking a Civil/Structural Engineer for a position within the Substation Engineering Department at our Waltham, MA location.
- Plan and Design new stations, station additions, and modifications using station procedures, standards, sound engineering practices, and sound safety practices.
- Participate in the development of physical layout, scope, and cost estimates for projects.
- Develop and verify project structural designs for adequacy, and adherence to appropriate standards & codes. These practices include but are not limited to environmental and safety requirements.
- Design physical layout, site design, access roads, site preparation, drainage, foundations and superstructures for substations.
- Select material and equipment for design consistency and efficient installation.
- Provide technical support to internal customers and other internal departments.
- Prepare comprehensive written and oral reports of problems, investigative findings, and engineering recommendations.
- Prepare project specifications and develop procedures and technical documents.
- Develop cost effective and safe solutions to design requirements.
- Participate in project estimating and economic analysis.
- Coordinate with design consultants, and interface with in-house design staff.
- Actively participate on multiple project teams.
- Support Environmental and other permitting efforts.
- Development of Standards.
- A Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited engineering program.
- Professional Engineers License (or ability to obtain within 1 yr)
- Minimum of 5 years work experience
- Knowledge of Bentley Microstation, AUTO-CAD, RISA, STAAD-Pro or other similar design software tools
- Good working knowledge of industry standards, safety standards, and current design codes.
- Proficient office computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to physically navigate in and around an electrical substation.
- The ability and knowledge to troubleshoot / problem solve safe solutions.
- Must be able to travel overnight outside normal work area as needed.
- Must be able to work overtime including nights/holidays/weekends for emergencies or other special events.
Knowledge of the following is required:
- Soil Mechanics
- Foundation design
- Reinforced concrete design
- Structural analysis
- Structural steel and aluminum design
- The fundamentals of surveying
Knowledge of the following would be beneficial:
- Substation construction and maintenance techniques.
- The correct applications of heavy equipment
- Electric utility operation practices
- Station materials
- Detailing structural components
- ANSI, ASTM, EPA, OHSA, ASCE, AISC, ACI, IBC, and the Building Codes
- Storm water / Drainage analysis and design
This position has a career path which provides for promotional opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.