Position: 877 - Systems Engineer
Type: Full Time
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Frontier Technology Inc. is seeking a Systems Engineer to support a project in Chesapeake, VA. Work location also can be at FTI sites including but not limited to Huntsville, AL, Dayton, OH and Crystal City, VA. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who can work in a dynamic, Agile environment in support of a government customer located in Washington, D.C.
This position requires a Systems Engineer to work hand-in-hand with a geographically dispersed team of managers, analysts, software developers, and senior technical personnel. The candidate will work with both the development team and its customer to provide systems engineering support of existing Navy Configuration Management, Ship Maintenance and Logistics software, and support to any transition to a Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) solution. The candidate will also coordinate with the developer to ensure the on-time development and delivery of analytic solutions within the systems under development. Understanding of the structure and functionality of GOTS applications strongly preferred.
The Systems Engineer relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals, working under supervision of a Project Manager. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required and expected to propose effective solutions and understand/apply business vision and direction. Other responsibilities include requirements development and refinement following the Department of Defense (DoD) acquisition lifecycle systems engineering principles and processes, in concert with the Systems Engineering Plan (SEP), and NAVSEA technical authority procedural documentation.
The candidate should have working knowledge of technologies such as virtualized environments, web services, SQL, and Big Data environments such as Hortonworks Data Platform and Hadoop/Spark.
- (Minimum) Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Business, Engineering or related field
- Must be able to attain DoDI 8570.01-M Compliant IAM or IAT Certification within 90 days of hire
- Minimum of 7-10+ years actively working as a System Engineer (experience with DoD systems engineering principles is strongly desired)
- Ability to develop system architecture diagrams in MS Visio
- Ability to work with cross functional team (i.e. project manager, logisticians, engineers, program analysts)
- Ability to work independently with a geographically dispersed team
- Familiarity with MS Excel and other MS Office tools
- Experience implementing change management and release processes preferred
- Agile Scrum knowledge strongly preferred, including use of toolsets such as JIRA, Trello, Redmine, TFS, etc.
- Basic understanding of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) is a plus
- Programming experience with C++, C# or VB.NET is a plus
- Work under the supervision of a Project Manager according to company policies and project specifications
- Review / analyze enterprise infrastructure computing and storage needs, computer system capabilities, workflows, and scheduling limitations.
- Provide engineering support to expand or modify enterprise infrastructure systems to serve new purposes or improve workflow.
- Analyze or recommend commercially-available software, if/as applicable.
- Analyze and study complex system requirements, as well as related user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate or improve existing enterprise systems.
- Ensure the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints.
- Apply industry / organizational best practices and supporting processes for the planning, analysis, design and engineering of new information systems / emerging enterprise technologies.
- Analyze and review existing systems and program logic to become familiar with the existing product features
- Develop storyboards and process flows for feedback.
- Document activities and instructions in manuals, user guides, and/or regular status reports
- Assess and review proposed software solutions in correlation with current and/or emerging DoD/Industry PLM principles
- Perform/document architecture, security, design and integration, requirements gathering and analysis for integration of PHM technology into Navy’s PLM solution
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to define and document business requirements
- Collaborate with technical staff to develop software solutions and alternatives to fulfill business requirements
- Support the definition of business rules for exchange of Navy data between FTI PHM technology and the Navy’s PLM solution
- Support system analysis for abnormality detection, fault isolation and predictive analysis.
- Prepare and reviews test plans; identify testing risks and contribute to the overall management of project and risk and mitigation plans; coordinate, manage and participate in complex testing efforts
- Ensure solution compliance with technical specifications and standards
- Work with a geographically dispersed team to achieve program development goals and objectives
- Employ best industry practices
- Gather, compile, interpret and summarize systems and business process changes; maintain system support tables
- Work with business and technical staff to perform effective root-cause analysis and resolution
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with team members and clients
- Thorough approach to tasks, with fine attention to detail and problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to meet programmatic goals and timelines, especially in multilateral work groups
- Effective critical thinking and problem solving skills that smooth impediments to attain solutions
- U.S. citizenship with current Secret government security clearance.
FTI is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D