At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.
About The Role
Are you an exceptional Operations Manager with strong leadership skills and the ability to drive strategic business objectives? Do you have experience in a Process or Oil & Gas related industry? If so, then this role may be of interest to you!
We currently have an opportunity for a Gas Terminal Operations Manager to provide inspirational leadership and management of maintenance, 24/7 shift operations, project support and emergency response resources associated with an upper tier COMAH installation at Bacton Terminal on the national gas transmission network.
This is a key role in our business providing inspirational leadership and management of up to 20 direct reports and an operational team of up to 40 staff and agency contractors.
National Grid connects Britain with the electricity and gas that keeps homes warm and businesses powered. We are driving the agenda to provide secure and sustainable energy both now and in the future. To meet this challenge we’re always looking for bright ideas and innovative ways of working. And you can be part of it.
Act as the company’s nominated representative within a Terminal Complex interfacing with senior representatives from the upstream oil & gas industry, HSE & Environmental Regulatory Inspectors and Multi-Agency Emergency and Security Services.
Bacton Terminal, Paston Road, Bacton, Norfolk, NR12 0JD
Role Grade / Remuneration
National Grid Band D Position
A competitive salary circa £60,000 - £70,000 per annum determined dependent on experience .
Excellent benefits that include: company car, annual performance bonus, Share Plan, Flexible Benefits.
- Provide role model inspirational leadership and management, driving process and behavioural safety, compliance, reliability and efficiency and performance excellence
- Manage an Upper Tier COMAH (Control of Major Accident Hazards) site, ensuring compliance with the Regulations and associated Safety Report arrangements and requirements, and that all emergency, security, safety, operational and environmental plans and procedures are developed, authorised, reviewed and tested on a regular basis including the on-site and off-site emergency plans, and undertake the role of Site Manager within the NORM Protocol
- Manage resources and ensure the safe management and delivery of maintenance, operations, project support and provision of 24/7 emergency response, being sensitive to the local environment and the impact on the local communities including the safe setting to work of all work activities in accordance with safe control of operations
- Ensure plant, system and equipment availability and reliability to facilitate gas flow nominations through the Terminal from Shippers and Delivery Facility Operators via Local Operating Procedures, in accordance with the Network Code, the Gas Safety (Management) Regulations and associated Network Entry/Exit Agreements and relevant legislation
- Support the design, installation, construction and commissioning of new assets onto the system in support of Capital Projects in accordance with agreed policies & quality standards, and the provision of accurate and timely asset condition information to inform the development of operational, investment and asset strategy
- Prepare, manage and report on OPEX and CAPEX financial plans and budgets for the Terminal, ensuring sufficient resources are available and forecasting is accurate to support National Grid in meeting its financial objectives within the regulatory framework
- Recruit and lead a highly motivated, capable, innovative and integrated Terminal team, developing talent and a performance management culture to drive value through staff engagement, empowerment to do the right thing and holding people to account
- Develop, and champion change, formulating operational and organisational change processes for business excellence and growth, as well as inspiring and engaging others in process-led activities, implementation of internal & external industry best practices, new ways of matrix working, collaboration, innovation and performance to enhance value and commitment
- Ensure that appropriate communication is established with relevant regulators ensuring that GT remains compliant with relevant legislation and regulatory requirements providing a trusted operator assurance, including the management of all ‘site occupier’ duties to the relevant standards
- Act as the Company Representative on the relevant Terminal Complex, interfacing with upstream onshore Supplier Terminal Managers, Health & Safety Executive, Environmental Agency, Scottish Environmental Protection Agency Regulatory & Specialist Inspectors, Emergency Services Commanders, Local Authorities, and relevant Government and Industry Sector Representatives
Knowledge, Experience and Technical Know How
- Comprehensive understanding of appropriate regulatory and legislative requirements (e.g. Control of Major Accident Hazard Regulations, Gas Safety (Management) Regulations & Pipeline Safety Regulations), company standards and instructions
- Knowledge of Gas Network Entry/Exit Agreements and associated commercial aspects
- A comprehensive and detailed understanding of high pressure gas installation plant and machinery
- Excellent leadership, influencing, customer orientation and communication skills, providing the ability to promote team working and harmonious working between direct staff, trade union representatives, project teams and contractors
- A comprehensive knowledge of company HR procedures and employee relations, and successful management of underperformance and disciplinary issues including holding relevant investigations and hearings
- Significant operational experience in the high-pressure gas and/or upstream hydrocarbon industries
- IOSH Managing Safely
- Valid current driving licence
- Desirable - Preferably educated to minimum of HNC in a relevant engineering discipline, ideally working towards Incorporated Engineer status.
Job Dimensions- Budget/Direct Reports
- Number of staff & contractors: Up to 20 Direct Reports and leads an operational team of up to 60 staff and agency contractors, and 50 Indirect Reports (including Security, 3rd Parties etc.)
- Opex Expenditure: up to £5.0m
- Capex Expenditure: up to £1.0m
- Maintains and operates an Asset Value of up to £350m
- Main Interfaces
- Service Delivery
- Engineering & Asset Management - Technical support and guidance for plant and equipment issues.
- Assurance & Corporate Audit – Managers & Auditors – Level 2 & 3 Assurance Processes
- Investment Governance & Regulatory Performance - Capital schemes and provision of process owner support for preparation of scheme papers, asset replacement planning and asset condition/plant status entry and updates
- Safety, Sustainability & Resilience – Process Safety & Safety Performance Managers - Incident and Safety performance reporting and investigations
- Gas Network Control Centre – Network Managers – Terminal plant availability and reliability
- Capital Delivery – Senior Project Managers/Project Managers - process owner support and safe control of operations support in the setting to work
- Shared Services – HR, Finance, IS, Procurement Business Partners
- Properties – Corporate Property Managers - Management and maintenance of offices/buildings
- Health & Safety Executive, Environmental Agency/Scottish Environmental Protection Agency - Act as the company’s nominated representative for an Upper Tier COMAH Site with Regulatory and Specialist Inspectors
- Upstream onshore Supplier Terminals – Act as the company’s nominated representative within a Terminal Complex interfacing directly with senior representatives of customers/stakeholders within the upstream commercial oil & gas industry
- Downstream Distribution Companies & other 3rd Party Companies – Act as the Company’s nominated representative interfacing with representatives of 3rd Party Companies where their activities are undertaken on an Upper Tier COMAH Site
- Emergency Services, Local Authorities, Government, Industry Sectors & MODP Security, and the Media – Act as the Company’s nominated representative interfacing with senior representatives to plan, implement and test all Emergency and Multi-Agency Response, Security arrangements (including armed), to an Upper Tier COMAH Site
Advert Close Date
Sunday 20th January 2019
Due to the sensitive nature of this role, if your application is successful, you may be required to undergo National Security Vetting in addition to the standard background checks National Grid carry out. If these additional security checks are required, you may need to evidence that you have resided in the UK for the last 3 years. National Security Vetting is carried out by a third party provider, UK Security Vetting (“UKSV”), which is part of the UK Government. More information about UKSV’s use of your personal data can be found on their website [https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance].