National Grid Ventures is home to a diverse portfolio of energy businesses that deliver competitive products and services for a broad range of customers.
Separate from National Grid’s core regulated businesses, we’re active in competitive markets across the US and UK. Whether it’s the long-distance transport of renewable energy, the storage of liquefied natural gas, or supporting the roll out of smart meters, we’re working hard to make energy reliable, clean and affordable for consumers.
We’re also building the energy systems of tomorrow – from bringing innovative technology to market that changes the way homes and businesses use energy, to competing for new, large-scale, climate-friendly energy projects.
The Operations Controller ensures the day-to-day safe and reliable operation of the BritNed Interconnector Businesses.
A competitive salary between £35,000 – £44,000 – dependent on experience
As well as your base salary, you will receive a bonus based on personal and company performance and a competitive contributory pension scheme where we will double match your contribution to a maximum company contribution of 10%. You will also have access to a number of flexible benefits such as a share incentive plan, salary sacrifice car and technology schemes, support via employee assistance lines and matched charity giving to name a few.
- Manage asset operations from the control room
- Control day-to-day operations of the Interconnectors
- Carry out alarm management and initial investigation
- Perform emergency response activities – control room duties
- Physically enact commercial limitations into the system
- Perform routine checks (both electrical and mechanical) of site assets – this would include tasks such as recording the number of HVAC circuit breaker operations, checking that emergency lighting is fully functional, checking fire system emergency call points.
- Perform minor maintenance tasks on site assets, such as replacing a fan belt on an air conditioning system under supervision of the Work Responsible.
- Carry out routine inspections, such as visual inspection (at ground level from outside the compound fence) of capacitor stacks for signs of deterioration, or site perimeter fence for security / integrity.
- Ensure that inspection / maintenance records are captured on asset management system.
- Conduct remote switching on AC and DC equipment on both GB and NL sides of the interconnector
Knowledge & Experience Required
- Understands response/communication requirements for a 24/7 business, and able to access all relevant information with appropriate reference to others.
- Communicates concisely and able to impart information to others effectively.
- Understands potential impact of any alarm, and acts accordingly with regards to required action or communication.
- Know how to read and interrogate the SER (system event reports) reports and retrieve TFR (transient fault recorder) data for fault diagnosis
- Have a good knowledge of Interconnector Operating Procedures from memory
- Able to carry out defined switching operations on HV AC and DC interconnector assets in both the UK and NL
- On completion of switching, instruct the Work Responsible to apply locks and caution notices.
- Know how to implement and receive a RISSP to/from National Grid and to/from partner end of Interconnector Business
- Can work on a range of transmission equipment as part of a team when required.
- Have knowledge of electronic Asset Management system and be able to enter data onto the system
- Organises and completes tasks effectively and efficiently
- Actively monitors work progress and reports accordingly to ensure work is kept "on track".
- Able to converse on a technical level with peers.
- Experience of HV & DC systems and SCADA control systems.
- Communications – Have good reporting skills.
- Should be able to face challenges that an operational site may present.
- Able to understand data to maintain the operational capability of the connection
- Have knowledge of and be able to enact all of the Interconnector Business Commercial Operational procedure.
- Have a good knowledge of the Emergency Plans and be able to implement it
- Modern apprenticeship or equivalent including City & Guilds 232, NVQ4 or HNC (preferably in an electrical discipline but mechanical is acceptable)
- Authorised Person and Control Persons (Operations) would be an advantage
Advert End Date
Wednesday 16th January