The Advanced Electro-Optical and Mission Systems (AEO&MS) Department is currently in need for a Thermal Systems Engineer to support the High Energy Laser Business Area in the development and build of advanced directed energy weapon systems. The thermal systems engineer will be part of a design and integration team building high energy weapon systems. The systems engineer will be responsible for modeling the thermal subsystem, designing custom manifolds (some mechanical design experience is expected) and experience with assembling a thermal system and verifying requirements. The role also involves familiarity of verification and test activities and to assist in system performance experiments in the lab and in the field.
The ideal candidate possesses the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with strong written and verbal communication and proficiency in analytical skills. The individual is also a motivated self-starter, leader, and participant in professional and community activities. The person must also be organized, detail oriented, with demonstrated strong judgment and decision making abilities; have a penchant to foster new technology and business growth; and a willingness to anticipate, drive and foster change management. Our organization is accountable for the engineering life cycle of programs, and execution of detailed IV&V plans. Our goal is ensuring successful program execution. Our team welcomes you to join our growing group of talented engineers.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in thermal design or systems engineering with emphasis on thermal systems
- Competent in CAD modeling (SolidWorks & Creo)
- Package thermal components from imported model into subassembly
- Design custom manifold or fitting adaptor as required (mechanical design experience)
- Competent in ANSYS WB or ANSYS for transient thermal analysis
- Model Phase change material behavior (can provide tools Matlab finite element code)
- Model pumped liquid loop with multiple nodes / boundary conditions
- Model TMS behavior in Simulink using Simscape tools (or equivalent)
- Competent in hydraulic fluid flow through branched networked systems
- Macroflow or equivalent (Flowtherm)
- Spreadsheet tools (which can be provided – require understanding of fluid mechanics to use effectively)
- Experience (or willingness to learn) in selecting parts/components in sizing thermal management systems
- Pump sizing
- Accumulator sizing
- Heat exchanger & cold plate sizing
- Chiller sizing
- Air compressor / Air Dryer / Air filter sizing for purge system
- Sensor sizing/selection (pressure transducers, flowmeters, RTD/TC’s)
- Fitting & adaptor selection
- Perform flow balancing using orifices
- Experience in constructing and plumbing thermal systems in laboratory
- Size & adapt hoses to components in laboratory and tactical systems
- Experience writing LabView or Matlab code to read sensors and control actuators
- Cut and bend tube
- Instrumenting system with sensors and actuators / data acquisition
- Strong written/verbal communication skills
- Summarizing and articulating system requirements / performance specifications
- Drawing ICD’s in Visio
- Interfacing with vendors for part selection and requirements flow-down Presenting detailed design to internal / external customers
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access US only data systems.
- Has designed and/or tested an EO/IR system (tactical or commercial)
- Has previous experience working on airborne or ground vehicle weapon systems and fire control systems
- Assembly, Integration & Test experience with high energy laser systems
- Has research and design experience with advanced laser concepts
Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering discipline, physics or other related technical field
Desired Education: Master of Science or PhD in Optical Engineering, Applied Physics, High Energy Physics or other related technical field
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.