The Advanced Electro-Optical and Mission Systems (AEO&MS) Department is currently in need of a Beam Control System (BCS) engineer. The ideal engineer will have a background in both systems engineering and optical design. The position’s primary focus is to manage the design and build of a turreted EO/IR and laser weapon system. The engineer will work with other engineering disciplines (optical, mechanical, electrical engineers) to create a design that will accomplish the system requirements. The candidate is an organized, objective, balanced decision maker, who supports technical reviews; guides engineering; coordinates designs; leads day-to-day operations; and represents engineering for the BCS on the program. The candidate ensures quality engineering work products, and collaborates with experts in various disciplines (e.g. manufacturing, supply chain, quality, specialty engineering, etc.) in the integration, test, and evaluation of the BCS.
The ideal candidate possesses the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with strong written and verbal communication and proficiency in analytical skills. The individual is also a motivated self-starter, leader, and participant in professional and community activities. The person must also be organized, detail oriented, with demonstrated strong judgment and decision making abilities; have a penchant to foster new technology and business growth; and a willingness to anticipate, drive and foster change management. Our organization is accountable for the engineering life cycle of programs, and execution of detailed IV&V plans for BCS. Our goal is ensuring successful program execution. Our team welcomes you to join our growing group of talented engineers.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in systems engineering or a related field (optical engineering, electrical engineering, applied physics, etc)
- Experience in design and development OR modeling and simulation of EO/IR Systems
- Integration and Test experience with EO/IR systems or laser/LIDAR systems
- Experience with one or more of the following subsystems: System Control Executives, Fire Control subsystems, operator HMIs, Power/battery subsystems, thermal subsystems, lasers (1-30kW class ideally), beam directors, pod construction/qualification, trackers, system performance modeling (to drive architecture decisions)
- Strong math and physics background
- Prior experience working with multi-disciplined teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with all levels of the organization
- Position requires frequent travel to customer facilities and other contractor sites
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.
Required Education: Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering discipline, physics or other related technical field
- 5 years of optical engineering design or optical systems management
- Has designed and/or tested an EO/IR system (tactical or commercial)
- Has previous experience working on airborne or ground vehicle weapon systems and fire control systems
- Hands on hardware, lab, fieldwork and I&T experience with high energy laser systems
- Technical experience in opto-mechanical engineering, control systems, embedded computing, or electronics
- Demonstrated experience in systems architecture and design, IV&V planning, procedures and strategies
- Experience in numerical modeling and simulation, and performing analysis using, C++, Python, or similar language
- Experience in model based systems engineering and familiarity with associated tools such as DOORS and Core.
- Experience with signal processing, image processing, tracking, computer vision, machine learning, and/or object recognition
- Has research and design experience with advanced laser concepts
- Current and active Secret security clearance
Desired Education: Master of Science or PhD in Optical Engineering, Applied Physics, High Energy Physics or other related technical fieldU.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access US only data systems. U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.