Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
We are currently looking for Rock Stars who want to be part of a growing IT Global Solutions Development Team. Our IT ambition is to transform National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future. This person must be a self-starter, energetic and have a passion for Project/Program Management. Projects support various lines of business including our Engieering Systems.Projects can be under 1 MM to well over 10 MM.
The Lead Project Manager is accountable for working closely with the business and technology to ensure the success of all projects/programs under their supervision. Project manager’s work with the business partners to first align on the business case and then plans, executes, and delivers all projects/programs on time, on budget, and within scope in accordance with business priorities.
- Lead and drive internal cross functional teams to meet project/program deliverables.
- Manage technical issues, risks and priorities. Perform risk assessment and implement risk mitigation plans.
- Has technical experience with implementing technical/system projects
- Resolve issues and solve problems throughout the project lifecycle.
- Create project schedules to identify when each task will be done and by whom. Manage project schedules and lead enforcement of project deadlines in response to the client requirements.
- Partner with business sponsors to define success metrics and criteria.
- Proactively identifying resource constraints and working with personnel managers on creative solutions. Manage the unexpected gracefully and effectively.
- Lead weekly project meetings with technology team providing transparency to task status and identifying issues.
- Possibly build, lead, and coach multiple project teams throughout project lifecycles.
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyse needs and requirements.
- Implementation of projects using the Software Development Lifecycle model.
- Ensure project documents are complete, current, and stored appropriately.
- Serve as the conduit and act as liaison between the customers (internal and external), software development team and technical teams. Maintain key relationships with project sponsors to forecast resource needs and communicate those needs to management.
- Ensure effective cross-functional teamwork among project team members including both internal and external business, IT and vendors.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and make constructive suggestions for change, work beyond the IT department to further optimize and improve existing process.
- Build a knowledge base of project types to draw from to optimize processes.
- Manage software development release cycle; coordinating resources, creating documentation and running release events.
- Demonstrates the Valued Business Partner capabilities and behaviours in all interactions with IT colleagues, vendors and business stakeholders
- Monitor project schedule and scope to ensure both remain on track. Initiate and implement appropriate actions. Proactively engage in both quality assurance and risk management activities to ensure project deliverables are met according to IT and client requirements.
- Meet financial performance targets for the assigned projects and proactively manage change control process both internally and externally.
- Accountable for budget across assigned project(s) including monthly forecasting and variance reporting. Collaborate with finance to initiate monthly invoicing and reconciliation.
- Contribute to development and management of Program Delivery metrics (On time and On Budget)
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- BS in a relevant discipline or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of professional experience demonstrating responsibility for participating in and/or managing large scale software development projects.
- Five (5) years of project/program management or project leadership experience the ability to communicate and work effectively with internal and external customers at all organizational levels.
- Three (3) to five (5) year experience in managing projects using agile methodology and also oversight to external vendors.
- Experience building and managing a project schedule in Microsoft Project or similar project management tool utilizing data-based decision-making (GANTT charts, etc.)
- Ability to lead a large scale projects, including development of plans for scope, timeline, budget, issue management, and managing change.
- Experience coordinating procurement events (RFP/RFI) and developing statements of work.
- Experience managing multiple vendors to deliver the full scope of projects/programs.
- Experience conducting and leading team meetings to manage the schedule, identify risks and review project deliverables. Comfortable with frequent changes or unpredictability.
- Good customer focus, attitude and excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to manage complex and varied interpersonal relationships to successfully complete projects.
- Excellent ability to organize time and information to successfully complete projects. Ability to lead and model behaviours for other team members. Experience with both waterfall and agile project management.
Leadership: Ability to lead both onsite and offsite teams through the completion of key capabilities that will help drive and support the business. Be a leader of all managed team members gaining respect of all while promoting a fun, delivery oriented environment. Interact with leaders giving status updates and recommended strategies into the options we have for each release. A track record of directing, inspiring, and motivating others to achieve results which exceed what is believed to be possible.
Communication: Must be able to communicate effectively to all members of the organization in person and during remote conferences. Ability to understand through communication the needs of the business and then relay that information to the appropriate business and/or technical resources. Ability to clearly explain application concepts and procedures to appropriate staff as necessary. Display excellent communication skills by being able to converse with technical and non-technical people; write concise and clear reports; and make effective presentations.
- Ability to be self-directed and motivated. An impeccable reputation for honesty, integrity, and for doing the right thing - a role model for others. A collaborative style that emphasizes teamwork, values the contributions of each team member, and encourages participation in achieving results for the organization and its customers. Ability to listen and learn from others.
- Experience working in the energy/utility industry
- Demonstrated experience working with IT Projects
- Current experience with Waterfall and Agile methodologies (SAFe experience is highly desirable)
- Proven experience leading large projects/programs
- Broad experience managing teams
- Ability to interface effectively and collaborating with third party entities
- Ability to work off hours
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.