Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Senior Electrical Engineer in Waltham, MA.
To provide technical expertise and support from an engineering perspective to ensure effective delivery of Distribution Planning and Asset Management objectives responsible for the retail connections engineering studies, installation acceptance review, and compliance verification of complex distributed generation (DG) facilities integrated with National Grid’s electric power system (EPS) from receipt of complete application to energization.
- Evaluate engineering processes and systems with consideration to operation, safety and maintenance requirements in order to make recommendations and subsequently develop plans for improvements, where appropriate.
- Develop and maintain systems, designs, specifications, standards, models and procedures in order to support design solutions and enhance safety, efficiency and operability and support local decision making.
- Develop high level plans for own area and champion innovation through the use of pilots, in conjunction with business partners and service providers in order to test their validity across the business and ensure value-add of initiatives.
- Provide technical guidance, support and coaching to others in order to share knowledge and develop technical understanding within discipline.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders in order to share best practice, provide technical advice, and build bases of influence.
- Keep up to date with market/regulatory developments within own profession/discipline in order to ensure the optimization of best practice for National Grid.
- Challenge existing ways of working and continuously seek ways to do things better in order to drive greater efficiencies within assigned area.
- Promote and implement procedural best practice in order to ensure all working practice (and where relevant, health and safety standards) are compliant with National Grid policies and regulatory requirements.
- Lead the implementation of engineering design for a specific area through the management of an engineering team and in consultation with other groups within the area in order to ensure design is fit for purpose and benefits National Grid operations.
- Make authoritative technical recommendations in order to provide design solutions which have a significant impact on business performance in the short and longer term.
- Lead, motivate and develop a professional team of engineering staff, prioritize work and allocate resources in order to ensure results are delivered in line with expectations and customer needs.
- Develop processes and review policies relating engineering systems/processes in order to ensure they are in line with strategic business objectives and meet the needs of customers and regulators.
- A Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Technology from an ABET accredited engineering school.
- Minimum of 4 years related experience.
- Knowledge of relevant industry practice, standards and legislation.
- Knowledge of current trends within the industry and developments in legislation or regulation.
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record.
This position has a career path which provides for promotional opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.