As a Meter Service Representative in the Customer Meter Services Department for New York City, you will experience the personal challenge of working for a world class organization and leader in the Utilities and Energy Industry.
Hourly Rate: $18.59
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Read all types of gas meters in the field.
- Walk approximately 2-5 miles per day.
- Must be able to climb 15 - 250 flights of stairs a day and requires kneeling and bending approximately 60% of your day while reading meters.
- Work independently and work in all types of weather (rain, sleet, snow, hot, cold, etc.)
- Leave missed reading cards in accordance with established procedure.
- Report all incorrect or unusual conditions observed in the field including gas meter piping for atmospheric corrosion.
- Install and replace automated meter reading devices.
- Perform physical locks on gas meters.
- May be assigned as a helper to assist a Technician or Working Leader as required.
- Assist with pipe fitting up to 2 inches.
- Perform field collections.
- Perform work on advanced consumption accounts.
- Perform inside Service Line survey and atmospheric corrosion inspections in accordance with company procedure.
- Must be able to lift or carry heavy equipment (e.g., gas meters, handheld computer, cellar doors, tool bag, and tools).
- May be assigned to post company notices as needed.
- Prepare all necessary reports and participate in required surveys.
- Maintain files and logs, plot graphs, type; perform simple arithmetical computations involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Ability to drive a company car / van or truck on a daily basis.
- Membership is required in Local Union 101 TWU.
- Candidates must be capable of moderately strenuous work and possess an aptitude for mechanical and gas work. Additionally, candidates should possess very good interpersonal and communication skills, a positive attitude and be motivated and dependable while representing the company. This position interacts with customers directly to satisfy customer’s requests and complaints.
- High School Degree or GED required.
- Valid state license; Less than 5 points on the driver's license and a clean driving record within the past 3 years required.
- Ability and willingness to work all shifts/schedules including holidays, nights, weekends and overtime as required/necessary.
- Basic knowledge of tools is required
- HVAC, mechanical or plumbing experience preferred.
- Six (6) months field experience or equivalent required.
- In order to proceed in the process, candidates are required to pass pre-employment assessments including a demonstration of job skills, background check and drug/alcohol /physical screening.
- If selected for employment, you must pass the company paid training class.
- In addition to possessing the qualifications for this vacancy, employees selected will be expected to work overtime in accordance with departmental requirements and to participate in the Company's Emergency Restoration Program as may be required.
- Employees selected for this classification will be required to participate in federally mandated drug testing programs prior to selection, randomly on a year-round basis, after an accident and for reasonable cause.
Please be advised that due to the nature of this position, incumbents are subject to UD Department of Transportation ("DOT") safety regulations.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.