Engineering Manager / Aerospace / Lasers / Optics / Bothell, WA
Job ID: 471601BR
Date posted: Feb. 12, 2019
Description:Here within Lockheed Martin's Laser and Sensor Systems Business we are looking for a First Line Engineering Manager to join our team. Lockheed Martin Laser and Sensor Systems delivers innovative laser solutions for the defense, aerospace, industrial, and scientific markets. The Lockheed Martin Bothell site is expanding our core competency beyond R&D laser technology into larger production laser systems. This change is creating new career and market opportunities. Our group offers the stability and prestige of a Fortune 100 company with the feel of a startup company and a strong entrepreneurial spirit.
This position is for an Engineering Manager. The role reports to the Bothell Engineering and Technology (E&T) Site Lead. The Engineering Manager will be responsible for day to day staff management supporting successful attainment of functional and program objectives. The individual will have a department of 10-20 engineers in a single discipline – Systems, Mechanical, or Optical Engineering.
This is a dynamic leadership position which focuses on cultivating talent and technical leadership in personnel as well as instilling engineering process and discipline associated with support to a production environment.
The Engineering Manager will have direct responsibility for personnel and resource allocation to programs, career development for the staff, and writing annual performance reviews for direct reports. The manager may participate in program work by helping put together and execute recovery plans, reviewing Earned Value Management (EVM) data, and participating in key milestone event preparation (PDR, CDR, etc.). The manager will have an opportunity to attend and brief at Monthly Program Reviews. This first line manager will also participate in and contribute to proposal generation and cost estimating of new work.
The manager will coach staff on engineering development decisions appropriate for R&D results up through reliable production products. The manager will mentor staff to create strong customer presentations with clear messaging. The manager will listen for and bring forward new innovations and technologies that can increase product performance or become common across projects. The manager will guide technology/product updates to address new missions.
The Engineering Manager will have frequent collaboration across programs and within E&T. The manager will be required to facilitate and ensure on time delivery of current programs and the capture of emerging programs.
Applicants selected may be subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
The Locale: Bothell is a city located in the state of Washington in the Pacific Northwest. It is part of the Seattle metropolitan area. The population was 33,505 as of the 2010 census. Bothell is home to Cascadia Community College and the University of Washington, Bothell. Bothell was until recently predominantly a bedroom community with most of its residents working outside of the city. Starting in the 1990s, several businesses opened offices in Bothell, creating a regional employment center providing about 20,000 jobs. Where can you get to from Bothell? Seattle is about 25 minutes to the south. Tacoma is less than an hour's drive away. Portland, OR is just over three hours to the south. Vancouver, BC is just over two hours to the north.
• An appropriate degree from an accredited college, or equivalent experience/combined education, with professional experience and specialized training commensurate with assignment is required.
• A technical background in a related field along with business and industry acumen are required.
• The successful candidate must possess a high level of drive and dedication and a willingness to foster change to that maximizes our Bothell Team's best value to the business.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and leadership skills are required.
• The ability to create and maintain a positive work environment where our employees are able to flourish and innovate is essential for this role.
• Strong leadership skills to include the ability to inspire and effectively motivate subordinate personnel at various levels is required.
• The ability to collaborate and resolve organizational and/or personnel issues is required.
• Comfortable with leading change and guiding organizational decisions towards short and long term goals.
• Demonstrated ability partnering across organizations to achieve results is required.
• Demonstrated strong communications, coordination, integration, and advanced planning skills is required.
• A graduate degree in a technical field such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, physics, optics, or applied mathematics is desired.
• Experience translating mid-Technology Readiness Level (TRL) technology to high TRL products and solutions is strongly desired.
• Prior experience developing winning proposals for DoD customers is strongly desired.
• Experience leading mixed discipline product development teams is desired.
• The ability to help evolve an R&D environment into a production and engineering design environment is desired.
• Experience with earned value management (EVM) is desired.
• Experience with cost account management (CAM) and cost estimating skills are desired.
• The ability to understand and grasp our fields of optics and lasers is desired.
• Comfortable with emerging technology and the challenges that this environment presents.
• Experience developing and marketing advanced technologies to DoD customers is desired.
• Successful experience designing and developing laser systems from concept through sustained production, especially fiber lasers would be a plus but is not required.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Business Unit: ESS6500 RMS
Relocation Available: Possible
Career Area: Management
Clearance Level: Secret
Virtual Location: no
Work Schedule: TEMPO: 9X80A - Standard Fri to Fri (Flex & Rigid)