Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems is seeking a Principal Mechanical Engineer to support multiple programs in El Segundo, CA. The selected candidate will be responsible for performing conceptual and detailed mechanical design work through assembly, integration and test on various mechanical, electro-mechanical, and electro-optical systems. Responsibilities will include the design of structures, mechanisms, thermal systems, electronic enclosures, and the assembly, integration, and test of those products. The engineer in this position must be able to help develop and derive requirements, lead trade studies, and evaluate supplier proposals and data. The position requires strong computer-aided design (CAD) and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) skills, as well as the ability to work effectively on cross-functional engineering teams involving optics, mechanisms, structural analysis, thermal management, electronics, and high-precision mechanical assemblies. The selected engineer will be responsible for understanding design requirements, coordinating mechanical design details, preparing for and conducting design reviews, and presenting engineering work products to Raytheon management as well as external customers. Candidate will be expected to learn and follow established Raytheon procedures and instructions, while working closely with their program and functional supervision, to ensure overall program design objectives are met.
Position is with the Space Systems Electro-Optical Mechanical Engineering Department.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in mechanical engineering design, product support, and test.
- Strong mechanical design aptitude and desire to learn, particularly if in relation to optical-mechanical assemblies such as mirror and lens mounts, precision mechanisms, and advanced structures.
- Ability to apply basic physical principles, theories, and concepts within the mechanical engineering field, and general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Direct experience in developing detailed mechanical conceptual designs and documentation packages for optical and/or mechanical systems.
- Proficiency with commercial CAD software, such as PTC Creo Parametric 3.0/4.0, Siemens Unigraphics NX, DS Solidworks.
- Experience with electro-optical and electro-mechanical program manufacturing operations and processes.
- Experience in design, assembly, and integration of mechanical / optical systems.
- Experience in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T) analysis for drawings.
- Experience with Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio).
- Requires an active DoD Secret Clearance on day one of employment.
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access US only data systems.
- Prior experience in the Aerospace or Defense industry, ideally with similar or related hardware and/or mechanisms.
- Familiarity with space flight hardware, including material properties selection trades, sensitive hardware and electronics components handling.
- Flight-hardware experience in assembly, integration, and test environments, to ensure hardware system level performance (e.g. vibration/shock/modal testing, thermal cycling per MIL-STD-1540, ESD/EMI/EMC per MIL-STD-461).
- Laboratory test experience, to include use of control software such as National Instruments LabVIEW, MathWorks Simulink.
- Machine shop hands-on experience (lathes, end mills, grinders, et. al.), CNC machine operation experience, and/or additive manufacturing fabrication experience.
- Additional CAD and analysis software experience, including experience with mechanical stress analysis, thermal analysis, and various support software packages (i.e. MathWorks MATLAB, MSC Nastran/Patran, Ansys Fluent, Mathmatica), desired but not required.
- Possess an active or in scope SSBI/SCI and/or DoD Secret/Top Secret security clearance.
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, or related engineering field, from an accredited university.Desired Education:
Master of Science or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, or related engineering field, from an accredited university.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.