System Safety Engineer
Job ID: 474673BR
Date posted: Mar. 15, 2019
Program: IR CPS
Description:The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
As we enter a new era of Strategic Weapon Systems, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world. Every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to craft, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to think big, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus - if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
Do you have a passion for working on emerging technologies? Are you looking for a growth opportunity where you can contribute to a very important mission? Navy Strategic Programs (NSP) is experiencing significant growth and we need your expertise to deliver amazing new technologies to our customers. We have opportunities that include advanced Hypersonic Technology, Glide Body Strike technology, and other key technology insertions. The early design and engineering phase provides you with tremendous career growth potential along with meaningful assignments to stretch and hone your expertise.
We have a rare opportunity for you to work closely alongside our Navy Strategic Systems Programs (SSP) partners to field a number of future strategic systems that the nation urgently needs. Lockheed Martin Space (LMS) in Littleton, CO has an immediate opening for a mid-career level System Safety Engineer to help lead this mission. In this System Safety Engineering (SSE) role, you will use your expertise to ensure that safety is designed into hardware and software products and that controls are incorporated and remain effective while assuring compliance to safety requirements. This role will also require that you review, track, and assess hardware and software changes for hazard impacts, and develop, maintain, and update safety hazard analyses.
Your responsibilities will include the following tasks:
• Develop and update Preliminary Hazard List (PHL), Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), Functional Hazard Analyses (FHAs), System Hazard Analyses (SHA), and Safety Assessment Reports (SAR)
• Prepare presentations and participate in Design Reviews, Test Readiness Reviews, Technical Interchange Meetings, and various working groups and safety review meetings
• Support the development and updating of System Safety documents to support Customer and Range Safety contractual requirements
• Review and provide input to test procedures for adherence to System Safety requirements
• Coordinate with test range safety teams and writing range safety reports to support testing
• Collaborate with Navy safety counterparts and support weapon systems working groups
You will use your system safety experience to evaluate hardware and software ensuring mission success with occasional travel being required. This position will require frequent interaction with multiple external and internal customers.
Our employees working in this level of position typically have 5 - 10 years of professional experience.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking. Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• 25 three-day weekends
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in an engineering or related discipline.
• 3-5 years of experience in a Safety Engineering or related position.
• Must be a US Citizen.
• Must be able to obtain a Secret security clearance.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Master's degree from an accredited college/university in an engineering or related discipline.
• Prior experience with Department of Defense customers (U.S. Navy).
• Technical ability to develop safety analytical skills necessary to assess systems/subsystems, identify safety hazards and recommend safety requirements to system design and operations to mitigate safety risks.
• Ability to develop safety documents as required to support customer requirements.
• Capable of understanding incident investigations and root cause and corrective actions.
• Proficient in the use of MS Office applications (example, Excel and PowerPoint).
• Knowledge of engineering drawings, System Engineering, and Reliability engineering e.g. requirements derivation/flowdown and failure modes and effects analyses.
• Basic understanding of statistics.
• Current Secret security clearance.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Business Unit: ESS4400 SPACE
Relocation Available: No
Career Area: Systems Engineering: Other
Clearance Level: Secret
Virtual Location: no
Work Schedule: 9x80A-9,9,9,9,8 hrs/d in wk1, /9,9,9,9,off in wk2