IACUC Research Lead
I. PURPOSE/FUNCTION (JOB SUMMARY)
The IACUC Research Lead provides support to the Human Health and Performance (HH&P) Directorate at NASA/JSC, specifically in support of the Innovation program and NASA Flight Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). The incumbent will support our commitment to maintaining compliance with various federal regulations regarding animal research and teaching activities. Specifically, this position will provide support and direction to the Flight IACUC on a daily basis. This individual will be one of the recognized institutional experts on regulatory requirements regarding animal care and use and is expected to provide advice and guidance regarding regulatory and policy requirements for the institutions animal care.
II. ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for compliance with Safety, Health and Environmental plan; must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the Company’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel
- Responsible for compliance with the Quality Assurance Plan, policies and procedures
- Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance level as determined by the Company
- Responsible for completing all assigned training
- Performs extensive, comprehensive review of incoming protocols and amendments, including grant/protocol congruence as well as cross-checking against previously submitted versions of the protocol;
- Prepares detailed written memos of review findings including, in some cases, suggestions for correction;
- Coordinate and attend Flight IACUC meetings; responsible for documenting and finalizing the minutes, completing post meeting investigator correspondence and evaluating investigator responses to IACUC review for clarity;
- On a daily basis, maintains document control and tracking of the process of research animal protocol review including, but not limited to, monitoring of the IACUC email box, processing incoming documents, data entry within multiple systems, copying, scanning, and filing;
- Communicates and advises Principle Investigators, staff and students involved in work with animals in research, teaching or testing to assure compliance with applicable federal and institutional regulations and guidelines;
- Maintains tracking table for veterinary observations, protocol non-compliance, and regulatory exceptions;
- Assists with development and conduct of a continuing review program for monitoring IACUC protocols, animal research, and animal related activities that include provision of remedial education and training to investigators and other research personnel, as needed.
- Acts as a liaison between animal husbandry/veterinary staff and IACUC regarding veterinary observations, protocol non-compliance, regulatory exceptions
- Assists with writing and submission IACUC Standard Operating Procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a life science or similar field preferred or the equivalent education and experience.
- 5 years of experience in biomedical research institute or facility.
- IACUC administrative experience or other regulatory oversight groups or compliance experience.
- Certified Professional IACUC Administration (CPIA)
- Experience involving research animals
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations governing the use of animals in research.
- Working knowledge of the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, and Animal Welfare Regulations.
- Must be able to prioritize multiple tasks, completing assigned tasks in an organized, timely fashion while meeting all target deadlines
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to write concise and detailed documents.
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Primary Location: US-US-TX-Houston
Req ID: 1079308