The Mechanical Subsystems Directorate (MSD) is searching for a Mechanical Design Engineer / Electromechanical Design Engineer with experience in mechanism / moving element designs for its Huntsville, Alabama location.
In this position, the candidate will be responsible for developing technical solutions for a wide range of moving element challenges, such as aerodynamic steering, thrust vectoring, attitude and divert maneuvering, pointing, and stabilizing of missile systems & subsystems. Responsibility extends across the entire life cycle of the product, from conceptualizing and design, to prototyping and manufacturing, integration and verification testing, through production support. The candidate will be expected to apply sound mechanical engineering principles to solve complex system problems while teaming with a cross-discipline team including electrical engineering, systems engineering, flight science, manufacturing engineering, supply chain and others.
Specific tasks may include requirements development and comprehension, concept development, trade study evaluation, 3D modeling support, free body diagram generation, first order structural and thermal analysis, gear analysis, material assessment and selection, datum selection and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, tolerance analysis, margin analysis, support of drawing development, support of manufacturing process and build tooling development, support of test process and test equipment development and participation in design reviews.
Day-to-day activities are highly collaborative, both internally across disciplines as well as externally with suppliers. Hands-on opportunity is plentiful, as great emphasis is put on exposing designers to the hardware through participation in prototype building and verification testing, thus enabling firsthand knowledge of system performance.
Assigned responsibilities could grow to include a team leadership role of a major hardware subsystem on a specific program, or leadership of a functional engineering section or technology area accountable for the team members’ technical execution of programs and projects. In this role, accountability for technical success across disciplines (mechanical, electrical, algorithm, software, integration, etc.), risk management, system integration into the overall final assembly, creation and implementation of design and development strategy, authoring of proposals and basis-of-estimates for new business capture, and adherence to cost and schedule commitments would be required.
Required Experience and Skills:
Desired Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience in designing, building and testing mechanisms
- Proficient in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing per ASME Y14.5
- Proficient in product life cycles (requirement generation, documentation, production, process control, fielding a product)
- Proficient in generating free body diagrams
- Moderate 3D modeling skills with a prominent commercial software package
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficient in leading a cross functional teams
- Production / assembly line experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret Security Clearance
- U.S. Citizenship is required
Required Education (Including Major):
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics or Computer Science
- A minimum of fourteen (14) years of experience in designing, building and testing mechanisms
- Proficient in Engineering processes and procedures
- Proven ability to deconstruct higher level tasks into discrete lower level work packages and tasks
- Proven experience in coordinating diverse engineering teams
- Proven experience on Failure Investigation Teams with FRACAS / FRB / FR / A / CA
- Experience with Pro/Engineer/CREO 3D modeling and mechanical drawing generation
- Experience using Matlab, Simulink, and dSpace
- Proven design and manufacturing knowledge in machine parts, injection molded parts, hobbing, broaching, sheet metal fabrication, BLDC motors, wire harnesses/flex harnesses and related components, corrosion resistant steels and aluminum alloys
- Proven experience with dynamic modeling using commercial software similar to MSC ADAMS
- Sound knowledge of flight modeling & simulation
- Experience with feedback control systems, including sizing, testing and integration, design to manufacturing, kinematic and dynamic simulation and analysis
- Experience with the development of different actuation drive systems including power management, motor and gear train sizing and implementation (spur gear, ball screw, lead screw, etc.) as well as associated bearing configurations for optimization of friction and position accuracy
- Familiarity with industry standards for system, DC motor, and mechanism design (AGMA, INCOSE, SAE, etc.)
- Experience in design and development of test equipment for electromechanical systems that operate under high load and rate
- Basic understanding of packaging electromechanical systems for management of grounding, shielding and electrical noise in compact designs
- Experience with fabrication, assembly, fixture design and/or advanced engineering lab test setups
- Experience in working with control actuation systems that employ permanent magnet brush and brushless DC motor technology
- Experience with precision mechanisms
- Proven ability to estimate project / tasks level of effort
- Proven ability to articulate, in both oral and written form, to technical, non-technical and management audiences
- Patents and publications in applicable technical areas
- Certified cost account manager
- Current TS / SCI Clearance
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or other Physics-based engineering discipline from an ABET accredited institution
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.