Would you like to be part of the new space movement? Are you a rock star engineer? Do you have the leadership gene? Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems is the place for you. In the last few years you might have seen in your social media feed amazingly beautiful images of the Earth from space in exquisite detail. Or perhaps images in the news forecasting the weather and reporting on natural disasters. Maybe you’ve even gazed at images from deep space wondering when humans will journey to the farthest reaches of the universe. Behind many of these amazing images are the technologies and innovations created by the engineers at Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems. Situated in sunny Southern California, a location rich in aerospace history, we have unparalleled heritage in advanced sensing systems for space exploration, national security and civil space. We are actively seeking engineers to help evolve our technology and grow our business into new domains and markets. Are you up to the challenge? We’re looking for you.
The Responsive Space Systems Department seeks a Production Chief Engineer within the Space Systems (SS) Mission Area of Raytheon’s Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) business. The Production Chief Engineer has the responsibility of ensuring the technical integrity and successful execution of a set of large Space Systems Production Programs. This position interfaces directly with customers and suppliers both domestic and international. Internal to the program, the Production Chief Engineer will interface with the product teams. External to the program, this position interfaces with the Program Area Chief Engineer, Business Area Chief Engineer and Functional Managers as well as non-engineering organizations such as finance, operations, supply chain, contracts and mission assurance.
The Production Chief Engineer will:
- Maintain technical baseline control within fixed cost and schedule constraints (Raytheon Earned Value Certification required within 6 months of accepting position)
- Provide EXIM guidance to technical teams and have the ability to perform jurisdiction and classification of hardware, technical data, and services
- Act as the bridge between program management and technical staff
- Foster culture in-line with high performance and cohesive teams necessary to meet the technical, schedule and cost challenges
- Lead configuration control board and engineering review board
- Provide technical leadership to engineering teams responsible for production
- Identify engineering resource gaps within the factory as well as with SAS engineering support
- Provide leadership and support as well as technical customer interface for all major non-conformance and/or quality issues that occur in the factory
- Create and oversee projects using risk management techniques (Raytheon Risk Management training required within 6 months of accepting position)
- Provide leadership and support for the disposition of discrepant hardware
- Lead corrective action investigations to prevent recurrence
- Participate in process improvement initiatives
- Develop and/or review tooling concepts
- Providing technical leadership to multi- disciplined teams
- Minimum 10 years work experience with a BS in a STEM discipline or 8 years with a MS in a STEM discipline.
- Experience as Lead Engineer on a large space program or another role providing technical leadership to a large engineering team
- Experience providing technical leadership
- Experience in production of high reliability space electronics
- Experience with identifying critical staffing resources to ensure staffing plans to address technical development areas
- Experience with developing and presenting technical briefings to the customer and company Management
- Experience effectively leading teams of technical experts to resolve challenging technical problems
- Experience identifying engineering resources needed to get required engineering work product requirements done (people, processes, facilities & tools)
- Experience establishing and maintaining working relationship with all levels of the organization, including customers, users, and other peer groups
- DOD Secret clearance required
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access US only data systems.
- Experience with Production Equipment such as surface mount technology and auto-coating
- Testing activities such as in circuit test
- STE design, testing or operation
- Software integration and test, configuration management
- Working with operations staff, sub-contractors, team members and customers
- Cost and schedule management using a government approved Earned Value Management System
- Integrated Product Team Lead (IPTL) or line engineering management experience
- Experience in creating a technical baseline in response to RFI/BAAs
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Science, and/or STEM degreeDesired Education:
Master’s degree in Engineering, Science, STEM and/or MBA
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.