Requisition ID 137917BR
Date updated 4/9/2019
We are currently hiring a SW Architect (Principal Software Engineer) with experience developing software architectures and applications in C++ to join the Missile Defense & Surveillance Software Department in St. Petersburg, Florida. Development experience should include software architecture generation, coding, integration and test, targeting a variety of platforms running Linux. Experience with embedded, real-time applications is also preferred.
The St. Petersburg site is home to multi-disciplined Engineering teams that perform development of the U.S. Navy’s Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC), a real-time ‘sensor-netting’ system that brings together radar data into a single integrated air picture from geographically dispersed ships, aircraft and ground-based units. This integrated picture improves a battlegroup’s effectiveness by enabling longer range, cooperative, or layered engagements.
This is a customer-facing position that provides an excellent opportunity to act as a software project technical lead to develop, implement, analyze, and assess new or refreshed software architecture designs using Object-Oriented (OO) and Model-Based Engineering (MBE) principles and tools for defense applications.
The successful SW Architect must have a proven history of technical and leadership expertise, typically from a base experience as an individual contributor engineer followed by growth into team leadership positions for software or multi-discipline engineering teams. The SW Architect should have experience with the full software lifecycle, in particular system/software requirements analysis. As a technical leader, the SW Architect will require solid written and verbal communication skills to collaborate effectively with other program leaders and senior technical contributors. In addition, the SW Architect will be producing planning and technical work products for internal and external customers. The successful SW Architect will adhere to accepted standards and processes for software development, conduct and participate in code peer reviews and design reviews, and review test plans to ensure maximum stability and quality of code. The SW Architect should also have experience with utilizing industry norm Agile development methodologies such as Scrum.
Key responsibilities for the qualified candidate include:
U.S. Citizenship and an active U.S. Security Clearance is required.Company security standards have been imposed requiring the candidate to obtain a Department of Defense interim security clearance, prior to the date of employment. The Department of Defense requires the applicant to produce evidence of U.S. citizenship (i.e. official birth certificate with a raised seal, U.S. passport current or expired, or a certificate of naturalization) prior to the initiation of a security clearance application. Employment will commence within 30 days, contingent upon obtaining an interim security clearance. Upon notification that your interim security clearance has been granted, the employment process will continue.Required Skills:
- Defining a top-level software structure and internal and external interfaces for the software that are compatible with the architecture of systems that interface to the software
- Evaluating the developed software against the software and system requirements
- Leading and motivating technical teams and mentoring
- Working on complex technical problems and provide solutions which are innovative and ingenious
- Working effectively and contributing significantly during all phases of the software development life-cycle (SDLC), including configuration-management, software test and certification
- Performing investigation and trouble-shooting to assess issues and develop resolutions to them in the lab and in the field.
- Working proactively to complete complex tasks with minimal direction
- Active participant in all SDLC reviews
- Working directly with customer to understand requirements of the system
Required Education (including Major): BS or higher degree in Engineering, Science, Mathematics, Physics, or equivalent, Computer Science preferred.Desired Skills:
- 8+ years of experience (10 preferred) with SW design, development and test.
- Prior experience serving as a software architect on a medium or large program preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrated technical task leadership of either all software engineering team, or cross-functional teams. Experience in leading and motivating technical teams and mentoring
- Hands-on expertise with Object Oriented Analysis and Design (OOA/D) concepts and use of Unified Modeling language (UML) or other design language/notation
- Experience with generating software architectures to meet high-level customer requirements
- Experience in the phases of the software lifecycle, including software architecture, system/software requirements analysis, design, implementation, verification testing, system integration, and post-delivery maintenance. Hands-on experience with SW Configuration Management and Peer Review tools
- Enthusiastic & resourceful performer; able to work in a dynamic, high-visibility role.
- Self-motivated and capable of performing tasks independently with minimal oversight.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills and sound problem solving skills.
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
What We Offer: Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, Raytheon offers a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits Raytheon offers include paternal leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care. Find out why Forbes ranks us among the top 500 of America’s Best Employers by visiting us online at .
- Experience with embedded development and Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS) such as Wind River VxWorks, Lynx Software Technologies LynxOS and Embedded Linux
- Agile development experience, using Agile Lifecycle Management tools like Version One or Rational Team Concert, including role as a Scrum Master or Product Owner
- Continuous Integration methodologies.
- Experience with detailed cost / schedule planning and performance
- Communicate effectively with team members across disciplines, project management, and customers
- Experience with presenting detailed technical and schedule status at program and customer meetings and reviews.
- Understand use-cases, system requirements, interface definition, and requirement validation and verification.
- Provide documentation review and resolve technical software engineering and integration issues.
- Ability to manage time and resources in order to meet assigned deadlines.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.